We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of questions

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of questions

Heading to EI next week. Staying in Beacon's Reach area of Pine Knoll's Shores. Looking through TA and internet search just provides too many choices. I was hoping for some more specific recommendations based on my specific needs and location.

Kayak and stand up paddle board rental....best place to rent close to our location. My issue here is sound access. Our condo is on the ocean side. There is a marina in Beacon's Reach but I do not know if 1) they have rentals and 2) if we will have easy access to parking and the water there.

My sons want to fish....but one son does not want to go in open ocean. So the compromise I guess would be to go fishing in the sound. Your thoughts and recommendations on a charter company/captain. Again, so many choices online.

Someone mentioned crabbing and ghost crabs? Anyway, I don't even have the first clue as to what to do, do you keep them and eat them or just the novelty of catching? I ask because my two youngest boys spend hours in the creek by our house finding, catching etc all sorts of creatures. They would love to do this, but I don't know what to do, where to go, how to do it, etc. The post I read, which I cannot find now, mentioned using raw chicken?? Any help appreciated.

Planning to bring groceries to avoid crowds there, but will want to buy fresh local fish and shrimp. What shop is closest to me in Pine Knolls that has fresh local catch?

Farmer's market during the week anywhere on the island that you recommend?

Then one more question....if you were a 10, 13, or 15 year old boy, what would be the number one activity/sight/place etc that you would want to do/see to really make your week there memorable?

thanks for your help, ideas and opinions!!

Suz

Edited: 11 August 2013, 04:06
Atlanta
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of questions

I'm going there for the third time in September. It's a great barrier island, but a quiet beach community.

I would suggest the following:

1. There is an Aquarium on the island. I think it's north of Emerald Isle.

2. I've never done it but you can fish from the pier http://www.bogueinletpier.com/

3. There are some tours/boat rides to some islands off the coast. Some with wild horses.

4. Take the Ferry from Cedar Point to Okacroke - Make a reservation search for NC Ferry System. It's a 2 hour ride to the first Outerbanks Barrier island. Plenty of things to do on Okacroke.

5. http://www.hotwaxsurf.com/rentals.htm - never used them but they came up quickly in a google search

I don't have kids so I can't guide you past that. Do some homework and googling. There are plenty of boats for hire, fishing trips, etc.

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
488 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of questions

For the boys - check the website of he N Carolina Aquarium. There are lots of kid-friendly nature activities for them.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of questions

Thanks for the help. Always appreciate the folks here at TA. I have read and read until my eyes hurt....just looking for some advice from "been there, done that" folks. Luckily, tapped into some local friends who go and got advice from the family we are renting from.

Booked a trip with Crystal Coast Eco Tours based on the TA recommendations here. http://www.crystalcoastecotours.com/ It meets all our needs as far as fishing, shelling, seeing the horses, crabbing, clamming and just enjoying being on the water. I felt the $375 price for a 7hr day was quite reasonable. I will let you know how it goes. So far my email communication with Capt. Jess have been more than anyone could ask for.

If we end up renting kayaks or paddle boards, I will add a review from where we rent from. The boys may just want to be beach bums, and that is fine, too. It is vacation, afterall....not going to schedule a bunch of stuff. We will just take it as it comes.

Thanks so much!!

prior lake mn
Level Contributor
20 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of questions

Kayak and stand up paddle board rental;

-Closest one is probably the sound side outfit at around mile marker 12-13 in Indian Beach I believe. You cant miss it, the place and equipment is visible from the road. If you want to get more adventurous, rent kayaks closer to the ends of the islands so you can explore more of the estuaries.

My sons want to fish....but one son does not want to go in open ocean. So the compromise I guess would be to go fishing in the sound. Your thoughts and recommendations on a charter company/captain. Again, so many choices online.

-Couple of thoughts. Head boats (lots of folks bottom fishing) fish both in the sound and near shore. You could try your hand at surf casting or the pier or you could get one of the local charters (~21-23 foot boats) that advertises more general activities because some charters are very focused on off-shore.

Planning to bring groceries to avoid crowds there, but will want to buy fresh local fish and shrimp. What shop is closest to me in Pine Knolls that has fresh local catch?

-Check out Salter Path (mile post 10-11) They have a couple of good places with fresh catch. Depends what is biting and what you want as to which shop to go to.

Then one more question....if you were a 10, 13, or 15 year old boy, what would be the number one activity/sight/place etc that you would want to do/see to really make your week there memorable?

-Depends what they like. Pirates, check out Beaufort and maritime museum with blackbeard exhibits. History buffs, very interesting and well preserved Fort Macon confederate era fort. Outdoors, off shore charter or water taxi to shackleford banks to see wild horses. Games, our kids went to Lost Treasure (mile marker 10) to race go karts/mini golf every night. Pine knoll shores aquarium is good no matter what the interest. On your way to any of these they might like stopping to eat at either the shark shack in Atlantic beach or Big Oak in Salter path.

thanks for your help, ideas and opinions!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of questions

Late to post but my son wanted to fish and when we visited the Aquarium they had a very reasonably priced fishing tour. They learned the basics and then went out to Ft Macon to fish off the beach. Everything was provided and they learned a lot from the guide.

6. Re: Couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 07:19