We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

Which Emerald Isle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
5 posts
Save Topic
Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

My family has traditionally taken our beach vacation in Duck, NC. However, we are looking to branch out this year and we are considering Emerald Isle. One of the things I love about Duck is that all houses provide easy access to the jogging/walking path that stretches for many miles (it is my morning vacation routine to get up before the family and run 3-5 miles). Is there something similar in EI? If so, how accessible is it from the rental houses? If access is important to us, are there areas/neighborhoods that we need to rule out? Also, how long is the trail? I know that beach running is a beautiful option, but it is not for me. I don't like sandy shoes and socks! Beaches are for bare feet :)

Thank you!

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
461 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

There's a paved biking/ jogging trail that runs parallel to Highway 58 (the main street). It's several miles long, extending, I believe, from Coast Guard road a few miles past the center of town. Any beach-side properties would be pretty close to the trail.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

The map of the bike path can be found by starting here:

emeraldisle-nc.org/eiprd/parks/bikepath.htm

The path is used by walkers, joggers, and cyclists and I think that this is on of the strong points of Emerald Isle.

Cedar point
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

They are also in the process of extending it further. By summer it looks like it will be done.

Atlanta, GA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

Thanks, everyone! I am hoping the path will be extended. I am feeling drawn to the narrow parts of the island (more like Duck) because I think the beaches will be less crowded. If the path doesn't extend that far, maybe I can just run on Ocean Drive?

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

Your routine is very similar to mine in distance and time preference. The bike / jogging paths are decent and fairly soft on the knees in the summer months. Please be wary of the cross traffic pulling in and out onto route 58. I’ve had several inattentive drivers cut ahead of me and like anywhere these days always lots of texting and phoning taking going on. You can also run along the roads, as you suggest (Ocean Drive) that parallel the ocean front homes and they are quite good prior to 9am in the summer months with little traffic. We backed up to Ocean drive so my loop began there. I picked up one of the side streets to get out to the path. You can adjust the loop to get the road work you want using www.mapmyrun.com. Good Luck!

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

Your routine is very similar to mine in distance and time preference. The bike / jogging paths are decent and fairly soft on the knees in the summer months. Please be wary of the cross traffic pulling in and out onto route 58. I’ve had several inattentive drivers cut ahead of me and like anywhere these days always lots of texting and phoning taking going on. You can also run along the roads, as you suggest (Ocean Drive) that parallel the ocean front homes and they are quite good prior to 9am in the summer months with little traffic. We backed up to Ocean drive so my loop began there. I picked up one of the side streets to get out to the path. You can adjust the loop to get the road work you want using www.mapmyrun.com. Good Luck!

7. Re: Jogging/walking/bike trials on EI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle
Recent Conversations