We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sound vs oceanfront

Somerset...
1 post
Save Topic
Sound vs oceanfront

I found a vacation home in Emerald Isle and it says it is located on The Point. My understanding is that this is the sound area and the ocean is a short distance away. I have 4 kids, ages 8 and under. Would this be a good location for them to swim or should I look more ocean front?

Ypsilanti, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sound vs oceanfront

The Point is a great place for kids. Use Google maps to check it out so that you get an idea of how far away everything is.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sound vs oceanfront

Be aware of strong currents at the point along the ocean side.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sound vs oceanfront

I usually stay about 15 minutes from the point but come there almost daily during my time on the island to surf. The kids love the tide pools and it's a great place for them to play without much worry. If they do venture out of the pools and into the waves, watch the current as Dave mentioned and the drop off is very dramatic in a few places. If you keep them in the shallows, you'll have no worries. It's very beautiful there and you'll have a wonderful time.

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sound vs oceanfront

As others have said, the Point will be fine for the kids if you stay far enough towards the Sound side. Ocean for teh kids in that area is not a good idea. Aside from the current, keep an eye on tidal change - it can be pretty quick.

If you go to the website for www.shorewoodrealestate.com/arial-photos.asp and look at the picture for Emerald Isle, you can see the Point at the lower right portion of the image. Sound to the left of the Point and ocean to the right.

5. Re: Sound vs oceanfront

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:15