We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Franklin,NC a good place for hiking????

Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is Franklin,NC a good place for hiking????

Hello:

Is Franklin a good home base to stay for the summer.Are there any hiking trails nearby,BRP?.Do you know of any CG that

you would like to recommend?Are there small towns to visit on

day trips? good restaurants in town,walmart,Farmer's Markets,etc?

Any addtional info will be much appreciated......caravallo.

2 replies to this topic
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Franklin,NC a good place for hiking????

It is a great base for exploring the area. Lots of options for day trips, several different levels of restaurants, elevation if you want it or low land if you prefer.

We've been visiting multiple times a year for years and have plenty of favorites in every catagory except hotels because we always rent the same house.

There is abundant info available on the web as well as many books of hikes and waterfalls. I'd share some titles, but we are going through renovation in our house and they are packed away in the garage at the moment.

If you want specific favorites a lot of that depends on the weather and the recent rainfall. It seems we always return to Mooney and Laurel Falls in the Standing Indian area. Just driving through there is pleasant. Minnihaha is an easy walk and our dogs favorite, but it's located on the south side of Clayton. Make sure to do the drive up Wayah Bald on a clear day. A day trip up to Cherokee is also nice. We like going up Hwy 23 to get there. Parts of it are incredibly tacky, but there is a nice fall on the edge of town and the villiage is interesting. Asheville is another day trip including a visit to the Biltmore House and Gardens, but if you try to see it all it is a long day. (If you are a AAA member, buy tickets in advance to save time and money.)

Above all, make the drive on Hwy 64 over to Highlands. It's one of my favorite roads in the world. Several falls along the way, hairpin turns, beautiful vistas, and if you go on towards Cashiers there is Courthouse Falls which is another favorite.

I could go on and on. Send me a private message if you want more specifics.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Franklin,NC a good place for hiking????

After rereading your post I saw that you are looking for CG as well. Not sure if it is still open, but Rainbow Springs has a beautiful location with sites right on the river just outside of town. Before we found "our" house we used to rent one of their primitive cottages. Can't beat the location for quiet and beauty.

I looked at your history of posts and see that we have been to some of the same places. Happy trails to you.

Reply to: Is Franklin,NC a good place for hiking????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Franklin
More Franklin Topics