We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thermal City Gold mine or Lucky strike gold mine??

Mass
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Thermal City Gold mine or Lucky strike gold mine??

Hi all, Looking for any ideas on which is better... thermal city gold mine or lucky stike gold and gem mine.

We are have 2 children 10 and 12 with us and have never really panned for gold. But my husband insists we try it on our road trip :)

Looking for a comfortable, family time to get messy. But want to avoid the tacky gem mines that give you a bucket of dirt to dig in. We want real creeks and streams that's why we are thinking the 2 above places. My kids are well behaved and don't get borded easy if that helps on those ideas. thanks!!!

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thermal City Gold mine or Lucky strike gold mine??

Did anyone ever respond to this? Because we're interested in the same info. (Did you choose one or the other?)

Gastonia, North...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Thermal City Gold mine or Lucky strike gold mine??

both a good places to get your feet wet and learn. you will find gold and learn how to do it. went to thermal city this summer ran two front loaders full in high banker that i know is a really good gold getter! then four 45 dollar gold bags in my desert fox. i spent about three hundred dollars and found 1 3/4 of a gram ive been prospecting 30 years its not worth the gold you find but the two young boys that went with me had a blast learning and seeing that glimmer of gold. they had two days of fun the 300 was just the dirt now if i added gas staying the night and food very exspensive trip. if it wasent for the boys i would have ordered gold off the net i can get 8 grams of natural gold for four hundred dollar! as i said great place to learn i dont think ill be back

Henderson, North...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Thermal City Gold mine or Lucky strike gold mine??

I just did Thermal City for the first time and found .8 of a gram in 1 load on the highbanker. Question though...Most of what I found is silver in color? Is this Silver? White Gold? Gold trapped with Mercury? Like I said, this was my first time so I'm not familiar with what is found at the site so curious as to what I have. Trying to learn because I work at a camp where they swear there was a gold mine and I want to prospect it. They pay sh!t though so don't know how I'll get any equipment beyond a pan. Finding lots of black sand but nothing else so far. I would love to dredge it or highbank it but no way I can afford that. Anyway...Like i said, trying to learn.

Mannsville, New York
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Thermal City Gold mine or Lucky strike gold mine??

I will reply. Hello, I've been to both mines. At thermal City you pay a one day fee of $10.00 and pan all day from a community dirt pile. The staff is helpful and so are the others panning if your a newbie. Lucky Strike sells bags of pay dirt from $10.00 and up. The staff is good and so is the food. Both places have gem buckets for sale. The two mines are close to each other and you can visit both in a day. I start at thermal City to see how the pile pans. If not productive, I go to the Lucky Strike. Both are great for kids. Lucky Strike also sells pay dirt to take home : )

Edited: 24 April 2016, 15:47
5. Re: Thermal City Gold mine or Lucky strike gold mine??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2017, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Franklin
More Franklin Topics