We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocation to Greenville

NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
relocation to Greenville

I have been down to NewBern/Little Washington area and drove thru Greenville on my way home. What a lovely area........Was considering moving to Wilmington but it looks like between the traffic and the hurricanes this area has it beat.

What is the quality of life like there in that region? What are your opinions and advice on this area versus Wilmington/or Southport region.

Thank You

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocation to Greenville

I moved from Oregon to Greenville, NC in summer of 2006. We enjoy it for the most part. Most activity centers around and is due to East Carolina University and the large hospital. I would have preferred a city about the size of Raleigh, but this is where the job is so we'll see how it goes. It's pretty conservative - that can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. I think it will be a pretty good place to raise our daugher (now 5 years old).

We were able to get a nice house on a large (almost 1 acre) lot for a reasonable cost. Property taxes are fairly low outside of the Greenville city limits. Summers are hot and HUMID.

I'm not faimilar with Wilmington. Let me know if you specific qeustions about Greenville.

Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relocation to Greenville

My daughter has been an ECU student for three years and loves it, for a large university she has received alot of one on one attention and advising-it rains alot however so you need to watch buying a home in a low lying area. It is much cheaper to live/retire than Raleigh but is near some great state parks and beaches. You are correct in that it seems much safer than beach areas vunerable to hurricanes. There is a strong medical community here as well to provide services. Stay away from living near the downtown area as the students party loudly there. There are alot of chain restaurants and many strip malls but no large indoor mall. It has a nice small airport served by USAir but I would advise driving right up to Raleigh if you fly anywhere-its really not that far.

Washington is nice as well but more Mayberry RFD than Greenville. Wilmington is much larger but real estate (diue to proximity of beaches) will likely cost more.

NC has a great state university system that is inexpensive for in-staters. I cannot speak to the quality of the regular schools.

As a northerner I must say it has its share of rednecks (sorry dont mean to offend anyone)

Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relocation to Greenville

My daughter has been an ECU student for three years and loves it, for a large university she has received alot of one on one attention and advising-it rains alot however so you need to watch buying a home in a low lying area. It is much cheaper to live/retire than Raleigh but is near some great state parks and beaches. You are correct in that it seems much safer than beach areas vunerable to hurricanes. There is a strong medical community here as well to provide services. Stay away from living near the downtown area as the students party loudly there. There are alot of chain restaurants and many strip malls but no large indoor mall. It has a nice small airport served by USAir but I would advise driving right up to Raleigh if you fly anywhere-its really not that far.

Washington is nice as well but more Mayberry RFD than Greenville. Wilmington is much larger but real estate (diue to proximity of beaches) will likely cost more.

NC has a great state university system that is inexpensive for in-staters. I cannot speak to the quality of the regular schools.

As a northerner I must say it has its share of rednecks (sorry dont mean to offend anyone)

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
499 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relocation to Greenville

I lived in Wilson (about 45 west of Greenville) for 5 years, and during which time Hurricane Floyd came through eastern North Carolina. Granted Floyd was more powerful than most hurricanes but it did a lot of damage to both Greenville and Wilson. Flooding was severe in certain places, and though I am sure you know that not every place is completely safe from hurricanes I would make sure to research certain areas of Greenville to see if flooding like during Floyd would hit an area you would like to live. I didn't spend a whole lot of time in Greenville, but I believe it to be a fine place to live.

Get answers to your questions about Greenville