We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
599 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

Just wondering if we will get to see any palm trees on our July visit to the Outer Banks. Also, what is the Pamlico Sound like? Staying on Hatteras Island and we will have access to a boat and want to try crabbing in the sound. Do dolphins ever go into the sound? I'm considering going down to Ocracoke for a day because I read it is comparable to the Florida Keys. How true is this? One last thing, how are the temps. in June/July? Thanks for any help!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

The only ones you will see are ones that have been brought in. They don't grow naturally, and the ones that are transplanted usually don't do well because of the cold winters.

Pamlico sound-shallow and brown as I remember.

Ocracoke like the keys? I don't think so. Do know though, that the further south you go below cape Hattaras, the nicer the water and beaches as the gulf stream hits Hattaras and goes out to sea, so the water is clearer/prettier.

If you crab, you will have the best luck with fish. Unlike Chesapeake Bay crabs, they don't like chicken necks. Strange...

June and July-high 80s and low 90s, but a really hot day in July 96 degrees + is not unheard of.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

Having spent time on both Ocracoke and the Keys there are some similarities that you may have read about. Very small bikable, walkable village, a bit bohemian, artsy with many small shops featuring local artisans, very laid back slow pace, nice restaurants-casual but some with outstanding seafood. No chain restaurants or mini golf.

Ocracoke tropical? No, but it has the same island feel that Key West does, the one that tells you that you are faraway from "real life". One of our Key West feel stops is the Pelican restaurant-everyday 3-5pm they have 15 cent shrimp on their outside patio/bar.

Yes, we have seen dolphins in the sound, but typically they are oceanside. The best sighting of them in the sound has been at dusk.

PM me if you would like some more info...

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

I have seen dolphin in the channels coming and going to Ocracoke, once on Ocracoke they were all over the sound I'm guessing 50 or more at the public boat landing , I have even seen they tail dancing at south point in November but you never know when they will show up .

Having access to a boat will greatly increase your chances of getting crab but what you will need is crab pots I think 2 are legal before you need a license . Set them out and check them every day its fun for the kids and a nice boat ride every day too.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
599 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

Thanks for the responses so quickly! Thanks for the info on crabbing too, that is what we are most looking forward to. As for the pots-- I guess I didn't think we were going to need to go to that extent. The lady at the hotel said it was fairly easy to get a bunch in as little as a few hours. Should we plan on more time for this?

Oh, and will we need to worry about croc's or anything like that in the sound area? I know at one beach in Tallahasee, we were swimming in the gulf and right across from the picnic tables was a marsh with some croc's that kept coming up to sun themselves. Not sure how far north they are?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

You don't need pots to get crabs. Lines, bait (fish best in NC) and a net and a bucket. You can crab off docks, or the shore. (We call this chicken necking in the Chesapeake Bay area-since crabs up here like chicken, and due to the extensive chicken farming industry on the MD Eastern shore, chicken necks are plentiful.)

"The simplest method of crabbing is a hand line and dip net and is strictly a recreational activity. The bait along with a small weight is simply tied to a line and lowered to the bottom. The crabber, feeling the light tugging of a feeding crab, slowly pulls the line in, and, when the crab is just visible beneath the surface, is quickly scooped up with the net. This is a very inexpensive, low-tech, way to catch crabs and is a great way to get the whole family together! Make sure your dip net's pole is no longer than six feet or it becomes difficult to handle."

www.bluecrab.info/crabbing/hardcrabs.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

As for Alligators-they have been seen in limited numbers in the New River, around Camp Lejeune, but not sure if they have made their way any further north. I would not worry about them. If there was one, it would probably be a rogue wanderer, and the probability of that is low.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
599 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

Thank you and that comes as some relief. We love the wildlife we may encounter but would not like a suprise like that while crabbing! Hopefully we will see some sea turtles while there also.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

You may see a sea otter or two. Last year we sat on the dock at our hotel right on Silver Lake and watched an otter climb into a boat, open an unlocked cooler and steal some fish. No kidding! We also saw him while kayaking.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

I seriously doubt that you will see a sea turtle. They stay in the ocean, and are very elusive, only coming to secluded beaches to nest in the middle of the night.

If you really enjoy them, there is a sea turtle hospital down on Topsail Island. A bit far from Hatteras, but could be a good rainy-day day trip.

http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
599 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there palm trees in the Outer Banks?

Thanks jwhiteree-I have actually looked into the turtle hospital a few years back and Topsail was a place I checked out one year to visit. Maybe another time and thanks for the link-it was interesting to read up on it!

Lynn-thanks for all the info you sent! We're looking forward to going even more just from hearing all the funny stories you have!

Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island