We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving distance to Kitty Hawk

Monroe, GA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
driving distance to Kitty Hawk

How far away is Kitty Hawk from Avon? We are staying in Avon but would like to visit other areas. Are day trips recommended to visit other places? Also, I have read on several forums that people really recommend 4x4's for trips to the beaches....do we really need a 4x4 for beach trips? Also, can you rent them?

Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving distance to Kitty Hawk

Kitty Hawk is probably about 45 min. to an hour from Avon, depending on traffic. As far as 4x4 on the beach it all depends on the beach you are going to. If you go to Ocracoke, then yes you will want a 4x4 and they do rent them. In Avon, I am pretty sure you can easily get to the beach without a 4x4. In areas such as Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head, there is plenty of beach access parking, and 4X4 are not allowed on the beach from May-September.

I would recommend doing day trips, each area of OBX has something different to offer.

I love the little sound side town of Manteo. Manteo has unique shops, the Elizabethan Gardens, and the aquarium (very small but nice).

I also love Ocracoke, it is my favorite place to vacation! You can only get there by ferry, and most of the beaches are 4WD beaches. Plus the town is so cute, and best of all no chain shops or restaurants.

Hope this helps. You have a great time wherever you are in OBX.

Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Kill Devil Hills
Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks, NC
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Monroe, GA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving distance to Kitty Hawk

Thank you so much for the info. We are definitely looking forward to our trip to OBX. Is Manteo also where The Lost Colony is performed?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving distance to Kitty Hawk

Yes the Lost Colony is performed in Manteo at the Waterside theatre. Here is the link:

http://www.thelostcolony.org/

4. Re: driving distance to Kitty Hawk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 08:33
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island