We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy groceries?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy groceries?

Have rented a Hatteras cabana for a week and wondered where best place to pick up essentials ie milk, bread, etc on way there in case late arriving. Also wondering if any of the bakeries in area sell bread and best place to buy fresh fruit and veggies.

Mentioned in this post
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Not sure of Bread but Lee Robinson General store is a gourmet store they might have it but they have most every thing else also but a little pricey Burris Red and White that is probably closer. But for most stuff I would stop in food lion in Avon they have the best variety and prices there is also another small one in Frisco too Next to Frisco Rod and gun

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Frisco
Frisco
Hatteras Island, NC
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Not sure of Bread but Lee Robinson General store is a gourmet store they might have it but they have most every thing else also but a little pricey Burris Red and White that is probably closer. But for most stuff I would stop in food lion in Avon they have the best variety and prices there is also another small one in Frisco too Next to Frisco Rod and gun

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Frisco
Frisco
Hatteras Island, NC
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Oh No May west or Poutine down here you need to bring them from homes LOL

If you have any question on driving down here you can take a look at this site and click on getting there from the north.

Personally I would take 81 to avoid tolls on 95 and a lot of congestion in the DC area . we cross at 1000 islands when we head up to Canada and it is interstate all the way to Va before you get off.

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Thank you - have posted from time to time in last couple of years and finally going to make it this year. I will stick with 81 as you note and enjoy some of the scenery on way down.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Having returned from week there will answer my own question - found Connors in Buxton best option for groceries and didn't discover any great bread options but liked baked goods (even if expensive) at bakery at Hatteras Landing.

Mentioned in this post
Buxton
Buxton
Hatteras Island, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Skip the Food Lion in Avon. Drive a little further north in Avon and you will see the Village Grocery. They are excellent with a great variety for a small grocer. Food Lion may be a little cheaper but they are always very crowded and quality of meats is very questionable. If you plan to buy seafood, do so at one of the seafood markets in Avon.

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Agree about skipping the Food Lion which altho bigger did not have same feeling of freshness as Connors. I also recommend picking up some fresh produce from some of the farmstands on way there. The NC strawberries were out I noticed on drive there but no sign of local ones on Hatteras Island.

Mentioned in this post
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Twin Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Hey arrived in Hatteras Village late last night (11-12). Didn't see much open once we hit the island. Went back up to the Food Lion in Avon for major shoping. There are several mini marts on the main street and a small grocer in Hatteras Village, hard to miss. Saw a bakery around Buxton (Ginergread) haven't tried it though.

Mentioned in this post
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Buxton
Buxton
Hatteras Island, NC
Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Drive in to the "center" of Hatteras. On the right is a small grocery store that should be able to meet some of your needs.

On the way down in Avon there is a Food Lion on the right, which is much larger.

Bakeries - I can't remember the name of it. But on the right in Buxton (where the road curves) this is a great bakery/lunch place. The owner is a fantastic baker. His name is Isaac.

Mentioned in this post
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Buxton
Buxton
Hatteras Island, NC
10. Re: Where to buy groceries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island