We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing - boats or charters to recommend?

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing - boats or charters to recommend?

I will be in Cape Hattaras with my son (14) for a few days and hoping to go out on the ocean fishing and also shore fishing. Need some recommendations for charters/boat and any recommendations on licence needs and gear rental. Thanks!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing - boats or charters to recommend?

If you go out on a boat you will not need a license. But if you fish from the shore you will. It is $10. for a 10 day license and you boy is under 16 so he will not need one. You can but gear at Wal mart on the way down it is about the same as you would pay to rent gear,

Charter boats that go all day will run $1400.+ a day for 6 people but you can get a make up charter and split it 6 ways, the boat will find the other people. A head boat will be a lot less they have full day or half day trips. For a Head boat I would recommend Miss Hatteras They do a all day wreck fishing trip that is good fun and usually productive . They book a week or more in advanced of the trip so book early.

Here is a site that will help you if you go surf fishing, Should answer your basic questions

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/id1.html

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing - boats or charters to recommend?

Are you sure a license is not needed to fish from a boat? A few years ago the winning catch at the Big Rock tournament was disqualified because one of the crew did not have a license. I know I have had mine checked when fishing but that was inshore

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing - boats or charters to recommend?

You do not need a license to fish off a charter boat, headboat or pier. They are covered by blanket licenses that the owners have purchased for your benefit.

But if your on a private boat you do as well as from the shore.

That is true about the guy loosing the the tournament however that was not a charter boat it was private .

Edited: 16 April 2014, 22:32
4. Re: Fishing - boats or charters to recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island