We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to visit Cherry Point MCAS ??

Which Havelock hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible to visit Cherry Point MCAS ??

My 16 yr old son (17 in May) has expressed a lot of interest in joining the military, especially the USMC. He started out as a toddler staging massive battles with his armies of plastic army men and that grew into a lot of interest in military style video and PC games. His father joined in USMC in 1978 and served both on active duty and in the reserves and my son has great respect for that.

We will be travelling to Emerald Isle, NC in August for a two-week visit (8/2-16/08) and I wondered if was possible to actually visit a military base to give him a real-world experience of what military life might be light.

My assumption is that this is probably not permitted after 911.

Does anyone know if this is possible and what I would need to do if it is?

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to visit Cherry Point MCAS ??

I have gone onto base several times Camp Lejune and Cherry Point. Camp Lejune is huge its like being in a small city! Cherry Point is much smaller, but has lots of housing.

I would call and see if you could set up an appointment to meet with a recruiter and get a tour of the base. Otherwise you would just be driving around the base, which I find confusing. To get on the base you will have to go to the main gate, and get a day pass to be on base. You will have to show your vehicle registration, drivers license, and write down the reason for your visit, to get a pass and they may search your car. SO don't have a lot of stuff in your car. I've learned that the hard way. They do have the right to not allow you access to the base, but I've never had a problem.

I'll try to see if I have any contacts you can call to actually get a tour of the base.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to visit Cherry Point MCAS ??

Thanks - A contact would be great! My husband knows Lejuene as he was there for boot camp YEARS ago. I thought my son would be most interested in Cherry Point as he is interested in flying. Either base would be beneficial.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to visit Cherry Point MCAS ??

Another idea for a smaller base to see is New River Air Station. If your son is interested in flying he may like New River Air Station too. A much smaller base near Camp Lejune. I have never been on that base, so I don't know as much about it.

I will see what I can find out for you.

pa
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to visit Cherry Point MCAS ??

My son is a Marine former worked at Cherry Point and now is at Camp Lujuin?(mis spelled)

any way he says get in contact with the marines in your town and they may be able to set up a tour for you

We just got back from Emerald Islae and had a ball with the grandchildren

5. Re: Is it possible to visit Cherry Point MCAS ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Havelock