We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

boca raton
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

I am considering these areas for Summer 2008. I spent a day in Highlands a couple of years ago, so I am slightly familiar with that area.

Could someone please compare the two for lodging, dining and natural beauty.

Thank you!

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

during the summer I'd definitely pick Highlands/Cashiers over H-ville/Flatrock - mostly because it'll be at least 5-7 degrees cooler.

boca raton
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

The weather definitely plays a big part in my decision as I will be escaping the heat of South Florida.

Which area has the more interesting choice of lodging, dining and shopping?

Thanks again!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

H'ville/Brevard area will have the better dining shopping...as well as attractions. But, it is correct that it is a little warmer there being in the thermal belt. Also- H'ville is only 30 minutes from Asheville for all the amenities there. And you have Flat Rock Playhouse and Connemara..as well as several street festivals ( depedning on when you are here). May I recommend the Poplar Lodge for dinner in Hendersonville should you choose that area.

Best wishes.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

While Hendersonville has a downtown area that is about 4 blocks long and has a few good restaurants I still would elect Highlands over Hendersonville. It will be cooler, the downtown is smaller but has some very nice shops, there is a lot of hiking and some waterfalls nearby and I also think that the calibre of the restaurants is better, albeit pricier, than Hendersonville.

Alternatively you could stay in Brevard which is about midway between both.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

I would also add I think there would be less hustle and bustle in Highlands. Traffic in H'Ville can be a mess. So, lots to consider!

Level Contributor
325 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

Had you considered the Blowing Rock area, which also has a higher elevation so is cooler in the summer; we were there end of Sept this year; temperatures were ~ 15 degrees cooler than in SC where we live; great dining, nice shops, scenic drives/walks/hikes.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

Blowing Rock is a GREAT suggestion!

boca raton
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

I love Blowing Rock. A few years ago I drove from Ohio to Florida and spent a day in Blowing Rock and a day in Highlands. I liked them both but I thought that Blowing Rock, especially, was a very interesting place.

I've heard that Flatrock is lovely, and wanted to try it next, but I didn't realize that there is such a temperature difference.

I've spent the last 10 years vacationing in Vermont and I guess I am looking for a town that has a village square like in New England.

I truly appreciate the quick reponses and such good, thorough advice. You all really know the Carolinas!

Ft Stewart, GA
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

All of these suggestions are within a reasonable driving distance of each other. Being from South coastal Ga, even the slightest temperature decrease is welcoming but during the summer in the mountains...sometimes Hendersonville still stays fairly cool ( well at least to me) until mid-afternoon as it takes awhile until the cloud cover blows over and out of the valley. My Aunt and Uncle live there so we visit about twice a year. I have visited each of these areas while staying in Hendersonville........all within 30-45 minute drives. The town of Hendersonville is quite quaint and entertaining....there is always something going on and the traffic is nowhere near bad.nothing like a BIG city. Be sure to visit a Day in the Country. In the back downstairs they have an outlet area where you can pick up afghans, placemats, decorations for the home, etc. for fractions of the cost. I make sure to go there everytime we visit. The Flat Rock Playhouse puts on very nice programs.we enjoyed seeing Beauty and the Beast there about two years ago. It was excellent. Billy Grahams. "The Cove" is also nearby and available for viewing usually. and there is always The Biltmore.....an excellent place to view a mansion and lifestyles of the wealthy.

This is causing me to want to go on vacation now.. Enjoy your trip!

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highlands/Cashiers or Hendersonville/Flatrock

I definitely recommend Highlands. With the waterfalls it is much cooler. The prices are higher but the food and shops are really first rate.

I recommend Nicks for eating out.

Get answers to your questions about Hendersonville