We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend excursion from High Point, North Carolina

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weekend excursion from High Point, North Carolina

My husband and I are visiting our 25 year old daughter and boyfriend in late July. We all enjoy the outdoors, golfing, and hiking. Wondering if a trip to Ashville, Great Smokey Mtn. National Park, or driving the Blue Ridge Parkway was a good option. We are open for suggestions. Thank you.

4 replies to this topic
KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend excursion from High Point, North Carolina

Hanging rock State Park would be a great place to start a weekend excursion.

Drive to Hanging Rock and spend the day hiking, having a backpack lunch, and then drive up to Southwyck Farm B&B for an overnight stay.

Up in the morning for breakfast and then up Hwy 8 until you get to the Blue Ridge Parkway and take it towards Asheville.

Get off the parkway in the Boone area for a light lunch and then head over to Grandfather Mountain to spend the remainder of the day before heading back home, or to another nice B&B before returning home in the morning?

That should be a fun and tiring weekend excursion for sure. And you won't have a long way to go either.

Edited: 02 July 2011, 18:52
Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend excursion from High Point, North Carolina

Thanks KT,

Sounds like a fun trip. If we were to go to Ashville for another weekend, where would you stay? What hiking areas in Ashville would you recommend?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend excursion from High Point, North Carolina

Graveyard Fields, Mt. Pisgah; see:

http://www.romanticasheville.com/hiking.html

The same website has suggestions on B & B's, also see:

http://www.airbnb.com/search

The accommodation depends on your budget. My 2 favorites are:

Guersthouse Inn (inexpensive, clean, small fridge) by calling directly & asking the Manager for Manager's Special

& Indigo (modern, clean)

hotelindigo.com/h/…

The trick there is to book in advance; usually 20% off..

Edited: 04 July 2011, 05:02
Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend excursion from High Point, North Carolina

We will be leaving from Indianapolis, IN to arrive in High Point, Nc. I am seeing that there are numerous routes. We have up to 2 days to make the trip. We wanted the most scenic and interesting route. Any suggestions?? Thank you.

Reply to: weekend excursion from High Point, North Carolina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about High Point