We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Franklin to Highlands to Cashiers

Which Highlands hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip from Franklin to Highlands to Cashiers

We will be on vacation in Franklin in the coming few weeks. We will be taking a day trip from Franklin to Highlands to see the waterfalls. Can anyone suggest any swimming holes, etc., that we can go to either before we reach Highlands, or perhaps even if we travel on further to Cashiers? Just trying to find other things to do to occupy our day besides looking at the waterfalls and shopping in Highlands!

Also, can anyone suggest a unique place for lunch that isn't too pricey? There will be a group of about 9 of us, basically an adult group of 50ish year olds and 20 year olds.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Franklin to Highlands to Cashiers

These pages list the more popular swimming holes in that area:

www.romanticasheville.com/sliding_rock.htm

romanticasheville.com/highlands_waterfalls.h…

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
39 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Franklin to Highlands to Cashiers

The above link (esp. the second one) are good recommendations for your trip. The "big" sliding rock is near Brevard, which is way further than you plan to go. When looking for waterfalls, measure distance carefully since many waterfalls are not sign-posted! Also, good swimming holes can be found by looking for cars parked alongside the road. For the most part, the turn-outs are very small.

In Cashiers there is a good restaurant called Cornucopia. It's so good you usually need reservations.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Franklin to Highlands to Cashiers

Thank you so much for the info and the links. I've printed them to take with me. I think we've been to most of these in past trips, but I am most interested in Cashier's Sliding Rock. Thank so much!

4. Re: Day trip from Franklin to Highlands to Cashiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Highlands