We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highlands area vs. blowing rock

Which Highlands hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
stanford
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
highlands area vs. blowing rock

I have been to Blowing Rock 3 times for leaf peeping and love the area. We are planning a trip again this year but are considering highway 64 including Highlands, Franklin and Murphy which we have never been to. I would appreciate input from those familiar with both, where should I spend y dollars. Scenery is most important, looking for leaf color, quaint towns, shopping and good eats. Thank you

Bloomfield Hills MI
Level Contributor
16 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

Hi, hubby and I just came back from a two-week trip, touring the area and we stayed in Blowing Rock, the Highlands, Asheville, and Lake Lure, and the Smokys Park. This was our first trip to the area exploring, other than driving past on the freeway on our way to South Carolina, so I am by no means an expert, but we sure did enjoy the trip. With the exception of Gatlinburg, it was all just beautiful. We drove parts of the trip on 64 and parts of it on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Highlands vs Blowing Rock? That is a tough call. We personally liked Blowing Rock better, but they are both really nice, both have good hiking, good food and a small downtown area. The Highlands and the surrounding area has a ton of waterfalls each better than the next. Pick up a waterfall map of the area from the Blue Ridge Parkway Assc and it will guide you to nice spots. If you are planning on driving 64, make a stop at Lake Lure. The Lodge on Lake Lure is a top notch small inn/B&B, we loved it. Be sure to stay on a night when the restaurant is open. If you enjoy good food and wine, this is a really nice spot, as is Gideon's Ridge in Blowing Rock. While in Lake Lure, you can visit Chimney Rock park which is very close by, although check on line and see what is open. The region has had so much rain this year a lot of things were closed everywhere we went - at Chimney Rock the elevator was closed as was the trail to the waterfall. (Even a 20ish mile stretch of the blue ridge was closed along with Craggy Gardens). For leaf peeping this year, be sure to check with some of the online resources from the state of NC, a few people we talked along the way said they were predicting a dull color year because of all the rain. Many of the trees have developed some mold which apparently causes the leaves to fall without color. We saw a leaves falling already last week. But NCs DNR or the Blue Ridge Assc can give you better info. Moon's also has a nice tour guide book of the Smoky's and the Parkway which has some helpful tips, but be careful on the advice on hiking and back roads- many of the trails and back roads are very washed out this year, the visitor centers on the parkway has up to date info and are very helpful- even for areas as far way from the parkway as highlands. Hope this helps. Have fun on your trip.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

The last 8 or 9 days, the weather has greatly improved. It is fall in the mountains, a little early this year.

We are all hoping the weather stays nice. We are starting to seeing s little color on the trees, due to the cool temps, especially at night.

moss point
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

My husband and I are a young 50. We are considering a trip around Christmas. We traveled to Wears Valley, Pigeon Forge, Cherokee, fontana dam in May we stayed in a cabin and loved it. I am interested in the blue ridge parkway but unsure of road closures. Also any info about things to see and do, we like quaint towns and shopping, parks, waterfalls. Any ideas and suggestions would be helpful. thanks

SW Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

Highlands is much, much, much more interesting and beautiful. Highlands has waterfalls, incredible mountain vistas, a quaint Main Street with great shopping and gourmet restaurants, hiking trails, the Bascom Art Center, live theatre, live music, the fabulous Old Edwards Inn, Bed & Breakfasts, several lakes, and an interesting history. Blowing Rock is beautiful but doesn't have the small town charm of Highlands.

35. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Highlands