We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

We are planning our vacation to Holden for the first time the last week of June, first week of July. We are staying on the East section, oceanfront. We have two children ages 10 and 12.

Any help on what to expect. Long shallow beach, water temp, fishing equipment, should we bring thier bikes, rent them.....

Any info is welcome from seasoned parents!!

Edited: 20 February 2010, 15:11
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

Welcome to Holden Beach! We've vacationed and owned homes there for over 15 years; it's a great family beach.

Addresses with "east ocean blvd." (also Hillside drive) will have the most narrow beaches on the island; most severe at the far east end. The middle and west ends on the island have longer beaches; the longest, most beautiful, beaches are on the far west end of the island; but can be difficult especially for families with small kids as the beach there is so long, you must walk through lots of hot sand to get back and forth from your house to the beach.

-The narrow east end beaches and extremely long west end beaches, are common to east coast barrier islands; due to erosion. Things are better on the east end of the island that they've been in the past few years due to 2 years of beach nourishment and no major storms. Unless you are at the extreme east end of the island, you should have enough beach to enjoy even at high tide.

The inlet at the east end of the island is a great place to fish, collect shells, etc.; also nice place to walk, as you can walk around to the ICW and watch the boats going up and down. you will need a fishing license if you decide to fish; here's more info.>>> http://www.hbtownhall.com/visitor.htm

Holden Beach is a great place to ride bikes. Bikes are allowed on the sidewalks which run almost all of the island. Here's a link with bike routes/trails the island has come up with: hbtownhall.com/pdf/…2008.pdf There are bikes rentals if you don't want to bring your own. Here's the rental company located on the island: http://www.outsidesouth.com/ They have all types of things available to rent. They also rent kayaks and/or do kayaking tours; the ICW (Inter Coastal Waterway) waters, nearby rivers and creeks are great places to kayak; lots of wildlife; my kids have always enjoyed kayaking and insist on having their own single kayaks; you can also rent double kayaks.

Just before the bridge to the island there is an arcade, a small water-slide; several putt-putt type golf courses, and several ice cream shops for the family's enjoyment. There are a number of restaurants in the area before the bridge, and 3 more restaurants on the island. Several restaurants; Betty's; Capt. Pete's and our family's favorite; Provisions Company, overlook the ICW.

There are also a number of cute little shops, and we now have a Food Lion grocery store and a Walgreens' pharmacy just off the island, too.

The water will be plenty warm by the end of June. Enjoy!

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

I saw your great advice, including links, for the family with a 10 & 12 year old. We will be arriving in Holden Beach next week, and our children are no longer children (17, 20, 22, & 24). Do you have some ideas for us? We are thinking jetskis, motor scooter tour of the island, and maybe a pontoon boat. Can you link us to places that rent these type of things?

Thank you in advance :-)

nc Coast
Level Contributor
297 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

The rental place for jet skis is right before going over the bridge onto the island. the rental place over the bridge on the right did have scooters but not sure they still do ...haven't noticed them scooting around lately. Not sure about pontoon boats for rent. Maybe check with the place that rents jet skis. I don't think these places have web sites.

Happy travels,

TR

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

Thank you for your tips on places that don't have web sites. Too bad the scooters might be out. We thought a scooter tour of the island would be a good way to scope out places we wanted to return to, like restaurants. Some of us aren't able to pedal bikes very far - bad knees.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
297 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

I'll try to look today and see if the scooters are still @ the rental place...will let you know.

happy travels,

TR

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

That would be wonderful!

If the have them, will you please post their name, so I can dig up a phone number? I'd like to reserve some scooters in advance, to be sure we can get them. As tough as it has been to locate, it would be a shame to find they are all rented out :-O

Thank you so much!

nc Coast
Level Contributor
297 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

The place I was thinking of has no scooters. There is a scooter store about 1 mile off the beach that sells scooters and may or may not rent them. The name is Scooter and more store. 910-8421103. Maybe they rent or can answer your question.

happy travels,

TR

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

Appreciate you getting that number, so thought I would give you an update.

When we checked in, the ladies in the office told us that the place right across from them on the island used to rent scooters last year, but they hadn't seen any scooters around this year. I had only gotten the answering machine at the Scooter store, so we went on a little drive. No scooters, but we did find a golf cart at Boomers. We got that and figured we would add a scooter or two to the mix when the Scooter store opened, since the cart holds only four at a time. However, as of Monday, the Scooter store still wasn't open when we drove by it around 3:00 p.m.

There is some good news to the story though. The guy who rents out the golf carts from the Boombers lot said he has been thinking about adding scooters, and this was just the motivation he needed. :-)

So, future travelers to Holder Beach should be able to explore the island on scooters. (However, I will say that the golf cart turned out to be a pleasant surprise, because a couple of my kids were nervous about the scooters but loved driving the cart around.)

nc Coast
Level Contributor
297 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

Glad you found an alternative to the scooters. Bikes are a good option too.

Enjoy your trip!!

TR

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holden Beach, What to bring, do,ect?

Yes, I too would encourage visitors who can to walk and ride bikes not rent golf carts or scooters; also rent kayaks instead of jet skis....the experiences are so much better, plus better for the environment! I too have bad knees and have to limit my walking and bike riding, but want to keep Holden Beach as "natural" as possible. That's what's Holden Beach is all about, getting back to beach vacations the way they were decades ago.....no high rise condos or hotels, just beach houses, very little shopping,etc. just enjoying the beach...riding bikes...paddling kayaks or canoes....not using motor powered scooters, golf carts, or jet skis!

The South Myrtle Beach campgrounds that I grew up enjoying have been ruined by hundreds(if not thousands) of golf carts and scooters; those in the campgrounds who still want to walk or ride bikes are now in the minority and risk their lives trying to get anywhere without being hit by the motor powered army!

I hope the letter I'm writing to the Holden Beach town council will help them think about curtailing the growing use of golf carts and scooters, before it's too late.....I totally understand that some people with limited mobility may need to use golf carts to get to the beach access but IMHO scooters are just a nuisance; creating un-needed noise pollution and causing dangerous traffic back-ups.

As a long time Holden Beach homeowner and lover of the island, I urge everyone to try using your own power to get around and explore the island, both on land and by water; it's just wonderful; you can see so much more wildlife when you are not scaring them away with the sound of your engine! ..... plus it's great exercise too to burn off all those calories from the great seafood meals!

Get answers to your questions about Holden Beach
Recent Conversations