We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive from the airport?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How long is the drive from the airport?

Is Charleston the airport best to fly into? How long does it take from there?

I've heard the traffic for the Outer Banks (to and from Norfolk airport) is horrible on Saturdays in summer because of check-in/check-outs. Is it like that here?

Thanks.

Sue

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the drive from the airport?

Charleston SC is a long drive from Holden Beach, NC. Maybe you should think about flying into a different airport.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the drive from the airport?

Which?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the drive from the airport?

Wilmington, NC airport (ILM) is the closest; about 45-55 minute drive from that airport to Holden Beach. Myrtle Beach airport (MYR) is 2nd closest, at just a little over an hour's drive.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the drive from the airport?

....To answer your other question, there is nowhere near the traffic in and around Holden Beach as the OBX. (The Island that is Holden Beach is only 9 miles long and at it's widest part, less than a 1/2 mile wide) If you are flying into the beach area airports (ILM and MYR) I listed above on the busiest change-over day (Saturday) you will find more traffic in/around the airport and on the roads which lead to all the different area beaches; but again, nothing like the traffic problems getting on/off the OBX.

On Saturdays in and around Holden Beach, you will see minor back-ups on the roads coming and going, mid-morning (leaving) and mid-afternoon(entering) .....Traffic backups at Holden mean you may sit through the traffic light twice instead of once and there are long lines at the grocery store from around noon on Saturday to late Saturday evening.

There are also vacation homes at Holden which rent Sunday-Sunday, if you choose one these homes, you won't find traffic backups at all.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
297 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the drive from the airport?

I would ck Myrtle Beach and Wilmington. I fly out of both. From my house on HB it is only 14 miles difference, 44 vs 58 miles. It depends on your airline and route, sometimes the price makes that 14 miles well worth the difference, especially with the new bypass ( hyway 31 ) in MB. Both are about the same size and easy to deal with.

happy travels

6. Re: How long is the drive from the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Holden Beach
Recent Conversations