We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Which Kill Devil Hills hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Hello Outer Banks!

We (extended family of 23) are getting ready to rent this home for a week at the end of June, start of July.

www.joelambjr.com/rental/house.html?ID=406

It's 121 Tanya Dr. MP: 07.6, between Bypass and Beach Rd.

Can anyone tell me about the neighborhood/location? Is this a pretty good area of KDH to stay? Is it close to dining/grocery?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

It is the heart of the business area on the bypass. Easy to go to destinations in either direction since its right in the middle (Nags Head/ Duck). Harris Teeter is very close for groceries and Goombays is close for food. Avalon pier is a destination for meals, especially breakfast, and an arcade. Joe Lamb is an excellent choice.

London, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Hi Busy Me!

Just wondered if you followed through with your rental of this property? My family has this same property rented for the first week in August and I'm interested in your experience. This will be our first "extended family" vacation and our experience here will determine if we make this an annual event.

Any pointers you can give about the area and clues about the house and the ammenities will be greatly appreciated. The Joe Lamb company has been fantastic to work with so far and we have high expectations. Hoping to hear that your trip proved likewise!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Hi Gaban!

We are checking in this Saturday, June 28. We are all really excited. I will take plenty of pics, and I will report back on this thread.

How lucky! It's great you have contact with someone staying in the same house just a few weeks before you go to get some information.

I'm subscribed to this thread, so it emails me when someone posts. If you don't see a post from me by mid-July, post another question just to remind me.

After a week off, I'll have a lot of catching up to do, and may forget :)

London, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

I was thrilled to receive your post! I, too, am subscribed to this thread and will be awaiting your messages. This vacation will hold many firsts for us - the first Outer Banks trip for most, first extended family vacation and first house rental. We have rented condos on a smaller scale ( 3 bedroom) in many places and assume that this operates much the same.

Is this your first trip with such a large group as well? Our group consists of 24 adults and teens (ranging in age from 71 - 16) and 3 infants, all related in one way or another, some staying for the full week, some for a few days.

We're looking for the simplest way to cover all the bases without placing a burden on anyone and are hoping to have our lists and plan together by mid July. Our group is scattered across three states and we have set us a yahoogroups page to keep in touch and keep everyone informed.

Any and all info on the house and what is supplied there, and any helpful hints you can provide about the area, and what to see and do will be most welcome.

I feel very fortunate to have happened upon your post and wish you a safe trip and fun in the sun and sand! May your vacation be all you have dreamed it would be!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

michigan
Level Contributor
470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Like the rest, this year will be our first to the obx. Any info will be greatly appreciated! Staying in kill devil hills this aug.

Thank you, Frasermom

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Gaban,

This is our first time in the Outer Banks, and our second time gathering. Last year 18 members of our family spent time in St. George Island. What a beautiful place!

We had such a great time, our party got bigger this year. We weren't able to find a place large enough in SGI, so we landed in Kill Devil Hills. This year there's now 24, ages 2 to 70, from four states. (Please read local info about the rip current).

One priority for us all is ONE ROOF. Many rental agencies suggested splitting the group into two or three homes to accomodate us. But we wouldn't sacrifice our evening meals all together or the communal feel of the vacation week.

Each night, one family prepares their specialty for everyone. And one evening we all go out to dinner. But the rest of the time is spent unplanned. We nap, visit, snack, swim, fish, explore when we want, no expectations.

I'll fill you in on all the details of the house and the area when I get back.

One question: How did you all split the cost? We just divide the total by the number of people, and charge per peson. I was just curious.

Wishing you all a warm and safe family vacation gathering!

London, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Busy Me-

Much of our vacation will be unplanned - an each man for himself kind of thing. Our guys are planning a golf outing and our teens and twenties are organizing a day for surf lessons. As time grows close and we confirm things in the area to do, I'm sure we'll come up with a few more group options for those who choose to participate.

As of yet, we have no organized meal plan. Our group will most likely be together for breakfast and/or lunch with dinner on their own. We're a pretty varied group - our DIL's family, as well as her brother's MIL, my husband's sisters and their families, my sister and her family and my mother and aunt, so we have people who know of each other, but other than meeting at my son's wedding 5 years ago, have not seen each other since. We hope to provide the opportubity for those who want to take part in group activities and meals to do so, and those who choose to not participate to feel free to do that as well. We have 2 birthdays on Aug 4th and hope to plan a get together of some sort that night.

We are, through our communcation board, keeping a list of "donated" community house items - dish detergent, paper towels, coffee, garbage bags etc so that we keep duplicates down to a minumum.

As far as splitting the cost of the house, we asked how many bedrooms each family was interested in booking, chose a house that met our needs and divided the price by bedroom. My SIL has a grown son

and daughter and requested the room with the bunk beds - the one room we thought we'd have the most trouble finding someone to take, and my mother, aunt and niece will be taking the room with 2 queens. Most of the others are couples, which worked for the king rooms and our "straggling" teens will most likely camp out somewhere around the house with no issue. No one seems concerned with what rooms they will have - we're all just anxious to

get there!

You lost me with your comment on the rip current and I hope you or someone else has time to explain. I'm sure it's something we need to be aware of.

Your travel day is coming quickly - have a fabulous time! I'll be looking for your post when you return!

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Wow, it would be horrible to have to live in that place for a week. JUST KIDDING! It looks wonderful. Have fun and please post a trip report when you return.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

Here is a link about rip currents and yes this is something you need to know about-very dangerous if you do not know what to do-this goes for good swimmers too.

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/

London, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any info on this area of Kill Devil Hills?

LynnVB-

Thanks for your rip current info- we'll be sure to review this with our group before our beach trip. You look to be pretty familiar with the Kill Devil Hills area. Any tips for first timers to pass along?

Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills