We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaction time with 3 kids

Which Kill Devil Hills hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ky
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vaction time with 3 kids

We have decided to visit OB for the 1st time. Not to mention 3 kids(7 and 5 years and 8months). We are thinkingabout staying at the Best Western due to the suite. Is this a good place? We are staying 2 nights and plan on visiting the aquarium and driving up to Corolla. Remind you 3 small kids tagging along after a 10 hour drive.

Any advice would be HELPFUL.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaction time with 3 kids

You will love OBX, it is a great place for a family vacation. If you search the Outer Banks forum, you will get lots of great advice and see all the things that have been recommended to others.

As far as the Best Western I have never stayed there, so I am not much help :(

The aquarium is small but very nice. It has a touch tank room that the kids will love because they can pick up star fish and hermit crabs, touch sting rays, and things like that. Outside there is a sand pit the kids can dig for fossils and sharks teeth, and enjoy the views. Also in Manteo is the festival park, Lost Colony (Outdoor play) and Elizabethan gardens.

In Corolla you can see if you can find the wild ponies, see the lighthouse, and take in the beauty of that area. If you have a 4WD you can drive on the beach up there as well.

In Kitty Hawk there is the Wright Brothers Memorial and Museum.

In Kill Devil Hills there is Jockey's Ridge (a giant sand dune you can walk to the top). I loved this as a kid.

There is lots to do in OBX, you are going to want to stay longer than 2 nights! Since your stay is so short I would not plan to much, take sometime to relax on the beach and enjoy spending time with your family. After all you are driving 10 hours to get there, do you really want to spend your whole time in the car driving to try to see everything in 2 days?

ky
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: vaction time with 3 kids

The kids are just as excited as I am, since it is the 1st time for us all to see the ocean. Since we are from KY we love the horses,LOL. Hopefully after this vacation we will plan a longer stay next year. I had to squeeze these days in because of where I work in a hospital. But the drive is what's gonna kill us all. Hopefully it won't be as bad as we all think it will be. The new atrractions will keep them talking for months!!!

NC
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaction time with 3 kids

With only 2 days, I would spend most of it playing in the ocean. Since babies tend to be frightened of the ocean we used to bring a small blow up pool and fill it with a few buckets full of water for the baby....

My eldest 3 were about the same ages as your 3 for one trip. The boys liked racing up the Corolla lighthouse with their dad (I got to wait for them with the baby =D ). They also liked rolling down the dunes at Jockey's Ridge -- again I held the baby. Jockey's Ridge can be *hot* and will leave the kids hot, tired, thirsty and full of sand -- oh and grinning from ear to ear begging to go back. My kids also liked to play putt-putt.

Have fun! All 4 of mine are always eager to go back.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaction time with 3 kids

There are 18 "mixed" reviews (mostly positive) on TripAdvisor for this hotel. You'll be staying at MP (everything goes by milepost) 8.5 on Beach Road. I hope you get an ocean view. You never said what days you'll be traveling. CAUTION.... Saturday and Sunday are check-out/check-in days for vacation home renters. There will be lots of traffic. I do agree with the previous poster's suggestion for visiting the aquarium on Manteo. The kids will love the touch tanks. Check out the "Outer Banks" forum. I have made lots of suggestions for other things to do. Visit www.VGNet.com and www.SunnyDayGuide.com for coupons and other fun ideas.

Steve

ky
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: vaction time with 3 kids

We will be staying June 11 and 12th. Oh definately an ocean view..LOL.. The main reason for this hotel was for the kitchenette suite, with 3 kids they are always eating..hehe.. The AQ is a must so is Corolla. Thanks for the info!!

6. Re: vaction time with 3 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills