We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OB for kids & adults

Which Kill Devil Hills hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Terra Firma
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
OB for kids & adults

We're looking for a good place to stay for a family vacation with kids ranging from 5-14. any suugestions?

north carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OB for kids & adults

Are you looking for an accomodations recommendation or a recommendation for an area of the OBX? If yo're looking for an area, I'd recommend Nags Head. Nags Head has a great beach, as does most of the OBX. However families don't always want to hang out at the beach all day every day, so this is why I recommend NH. Just across the bridge is Roanoke Island. RI, being the location of the lost colony and the birthplace of Virginia Dare (the first English child born in the New World) has several things to do, a couple nature paths, a fantastic garden (the Elizabethan Gardens) an aquarium, Festival Park with a good quality maritime museum and delicious resteraunts. Plus in the summer, they have an outdoor play at the gardens about the founding and settling of Roanoke. If you have any girls in your group, the Elizabethan Gardens host a tea party with 'Queen Elizabeth I'. Have fun!

Terra Firma
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OB for kids & adults

That's the kind of recomme we're looking for. Compared to Hilton Head, SC, for family w/kids 5, 11, and 15...would you recommend HHead or OBX?

Thanks mucho!

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OB for kids & adults

I have to agree I think the Nags Head area would suit you. I like Hilton Head, it is a very nice area, but to me it seems to be filled with resort areas with lots of golf courses. I also get the feeling that it is more high end.

I like OBX as there is a good mix of high end and middle class areas. I also like that it is not full of resorts. The atmosphere of OBX is very family oriented, with a wide variety of things to do. If you stay in Nags Head you will be a 15 min. to Roanoke Island where there is the aquarium (small but nice), The Lost Colony (outdoor drama on the first british colony in the US), Elizbethan gardens, and the Roanoke Island Festival Park. Driving south 45 min. drive to Hatteras where you can tour the lighthouse, or take the 45 min. ferry ride to Ocracoke Island. Driving north about 45 min. you can your Duck, or drive a little further to explore Corolla. In Nags Head there is a wide variety of places to eat/shop, the beach, and several mini golf places.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OB for kids & adults

Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head are the most commercialized areas in the OBX. This is where you will find anything and everthing the kids and you will want to do or see. Stores and restaurants galore, putt-putt, go-carts, pontoon boat or ski-doo rentals, nature trails, sand dune climbing, hang-gliding or para-sailing, Wright Brothers Museum, air boat tours, dolphin watching cruises, fishing off of the many piers, boogy boarding, ghost crab hunting, dinner shows, etc. Check these two websites for info www.VGNet.com and www.SunnyDayGuide.com.

Steve

5. Re: OB for kids & adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills