We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Nourishment - KDH

Which Kill Devil Hills hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Nourishment - KDH

Ok, I do NOT intend to stir the pot here. I have a simple question and am hoping for just a simple answer ... please, no editorial comments or rants or bickering. Ok?

Is there beach nourishment going on or in the near future in KDH?

We're going to be spending a week in KDH starting 9/18. We're staying at Shutters (in large part due to the fact that they're on the beach). I've been reading a lot here about the nourishment project which seems to be taking place in Nags Head. This is our first visit, so I'm not totally familiar (yet) with the mile markers so I cannot get my bearings on the information provided in the links posted.

We're just curious if there's a possibility that we'll be experiencing beach nourishment in KDH on our visit. We will definitely go anyway, we'll have a great time (in part because we plan to see other sights besides the beach and when we want to spend some time on the beach, we won't mind driving down the road a ways if necessary), and we don't expect any special favors or treatment because of the nourishment . We're just curious what to be expecting.

Thanks in advance.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Beach Nourishment - KDH

I think that as an owner of a beachfront property, I would look at the beach nourishment differently than I would look at storms and seaweed because the beach nourishment is a huge benefit to me as the homeowner but a huge hit on my tenant. Quite the dichotomy there. For me it would also be a solid business decision. I want those tenants coming back year after year.

I don't know if anyone else looks at it that way, but that's the way I look at things like this. Sometimes, it's not all about words in a contract. It's about the long-term outcome.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Beach Nourishment - KDH

While all that sounds nice, that's not the reality. This is a business with huge overhead costs. Long-term outcome?.... to be honest, only about a 1/4 or so of renters come back to the same vacation area year after year..too many other places/beaches in this country/world to see. In the winter and early spring when I'm securing most of the reservations for the summer months, if I owned 10 houses I would have them booked; I've got more people inquiring and wanting to rent weeks than I've got weeks available. So as my grandmother used to say, "gotta make hay while the sun shines". Most homeowners who are renting out their vacation houses just can't afford to let people out of their contracts at the last minute when it is discovered that the area surrounding their property won't be at it's best. One prime week without income would be a huge hit...during prime summer months; each week of the summer is precious for making the money needed to support the property for the year. For properties along the NC coast, there's only about 10-12 weeks a year that you can pretty much be guaranteed income.

Your vacation accommodation's rental agreement/contract is a business agreement/contract. You don't expect remedies and other things that aren't spelled out in other business agreement/contracts.... this one isn't any different.

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
6 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Beach Nourishment - KDH

We own 2 houses in Nags Head and we're thrilled with the beach nourishment. Our management company did notify guests there may be noise and when the pipes would be runiing on the beach by our houses. We personally were in the area when the nouishement took place at our MP and it was very interesting to watch and no loud noises. Now to my question and probably should have begun a new thread, but thought the folks that posted here might have an answer. With Sandy hitting Kitty Hawk so hard last week is there any beach nourishmen being discussed?

Edited: 04 November 2012, 23:05
Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Beach Nourishment - KDH

How did the Nags Head beach hold up during Sandy? I think that might influence what the other towns do.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Beach Nourishment - KDH

The nourishment held up with flying colors, in fact there might have been some sand added on the top as the overwash went over the beach. It worked well to keep the Nags Head streets from flooding too. All in all the nourishment worked and has stayed through small storms, nor easter's and major storms. All towns should be looking at it as an option. Funding will again be the big question.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Beach Nourishment - KDH

That's great to hear. I hear the topic will be debated at this Wednesday's town council meeting in Duck. I'm sure there will be heated input from some of the oceanfront property owners.

37. Re: Beach Nourishment - KDH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills