We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

Which Kill Devil Hills hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

I am staying in Mid September 2013 at Babe's Place in Kill Devil Hills.

In the week that we are staying we plan on...

1. Manteo all day there (is this possible??)

2. Corolla for the Wild horses and Lighthouse

3. Ocracoke (by the way how to do pronounce this?)

4. Hatteras Island

5. Roanoke Island

6. Nags Head

I hope I am not missing anything :) I do like to do a lot of stuff on my vacations so I am used to being in the car for awhile. I have done research but just don’t know if it can even be done all in one week.

Any ideas for me? Great thanks! Any things to know? Awesome thank you-

Also any ideas for food would be helpful!!

And one last thing- I really want to do the helicopter ride- has anyone done this and if so what did you think of it? How high is it? I am of course scared of heights but try not to let that get to me!!

Thank you everyone

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

Manteo is on Roanoke Island, and a whole day is possible, especially if you also visit Wanchese, a fishing port also on Roanoke Island.

You'll be on Hatteras Island to get to the free ferry to Oracoke (okra coke)

You'll go through Nags head on your way to Hatteras or Manteo. The towns down here tend to run together.

North to south: Corolla (kral uh), Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head.

The wild horses are north of Corolla in the 4x4 off road area. I suggest one of the guided tours. There are more than a few companies. Reserve in advance.

Your plan is not too optimistic, and sounds like fun.

Helicopter--fear of heights? Not sure, but count me out.

Hope you have a great time.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

"Also any ideas for food would be helpful!!"

I just made my first trip to the OBX and had great food everywhere I tried; my two favorites were Kill Devil Grill and Stripers(in Manteo); my favorite place was the Nature Conservancy trails in Nags Head Woods. Check out the restaurant reviews on the TA forum.

If you have any interest in Native American culture, the Indian museum in Frisco is outstanding; there's also a nice set of walking paths behind the museum.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

If you decide on Ocracoke it is a good Idea to get to the ferry before 9 am that is about 60 miles so plan accordingly I would go there first then site see going north in the afternoon.

Plenty of good food on Ocracoke Howard's is the most popular. Great place for lunch

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

Sounds busy to me. I love the Banks and the draw, to me, is the ocean. Do take time to sit and enjoy it.

Youngsville, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

Sounds like fun. Our trip is coming up at the end of June, so I am thinking about all of this stuff all of the time. We like to come to mostly lie on the beach all day. Don't forget to visit Jockey's Ridge. Aside from the beach, it is the "can't miss" spot for me. You could spend a day on Roanoke Island (visit Festival Park, walk around and shop and eat, aquarium, and Lost Colony Play in the evening). I agree with DOBX, that it will take you an hour to get to Hatteras/Buxton to get the ferry to Ocracoke so yo might as well visit and climb Cape Hatteras Lighthouse while you are there. You can also climb Bodie Island and Currituck Lights aswell. Then you could visit Corolla (never been and might do the horse tour this summer) for a day and still have 3 days to enjoy the real scenery...the beach. You can always stop at any number of shops/restaurants in each of the towns to soak in the local personality and flavor.

Also, has anyone ever gone on one of the bi-plane rides that they advertise over ocean all summer. I always see those signs for $40 for a ride. Am thinking about going up with my 8 year old son to see the beach in a whole new way.

nc
Level Contributor
477 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

I have been on both helicopter and biplane rides. I am a little afraid of heights - like when I've been on a third floor deck that is under construction and doesn't have a real railing, I get a little funny feeling in my stomach. However, I felt completely safe at all times in the helicopter. It's like riding in a baby carriage, it is so smooth, and you can see such a wide area, especially if you sit in the front. He will go as high or low as you want, within the time limit of the tour. The price is pretty reasonable if you bring 3 people.

Now the biplane, I think, is more for the roller coaster experience. The girl I went went loved the banked turns and such, but my stomach did not. The headsets in the biplane also did not have microphones, so we could not talk to the pilot. It was just thumbs up or thumbs down - you couldn't ask him to turn around and look at some thing longer, whereas in the helicopter, the pilot would point out the ship wrecks or the dolphins in the water. Also, as far as visibility, you are sitting down in the biplane's fuselage, so you don't have the same view, especially with the struts and wings in the way.

So if you want the roller coaster ride, call Pete in the biplane. If you want the sightseeing, call Larry with the helicopter (actually they are partners). Both are at Dare County airport.

Youngsville, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

I should have figured that, but I am glad you posted it. I am NOT looking for the rollar coaster ride, and that bi-plane could have ruined me for a day of my vacation:) I think I will stick to the view of the ocean from the sand or deck. Much calmer!

Wheeling, West...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

We go to OBX every year. We stay in KDH everytime. :) Last yr we stayed at first flight retreat and LOVED it! If you like to go to seafood buffet (I have 2 teenagers that love seafood. SO its a good thing for us.) We go to Jimmys. MP 4 maybe. We also go to OBX brewing company. MP 8 on the bypass. Really good food. We also eat at Awful Arthurs. It is on beach road. MP 6ish? Across from Avalon Pier. Another really nice spot is Jeanettes Pier. It is down Nags Head. If you fish it is great, if you don't it is still a really nice place to stop and walk out on the pier. It is brand new and concrete. Lots of people go to Wright Bros memorial. Jockeys Ridge is also cool. The little towns all run together. Kitty hawk, kill devil hills, NH then SNH. We have lunch at Spankys grill in kitty hawk at least once.

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
930 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

Thanks all. You just helped our first trip out too.

Cheers! -------- Ken

Edited: 28 September 2013, 17:40
Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what do you guys think for this as a first time to the OBX?

JerseyBeachComber: We love the helicopter ride! Great people, great trip!

Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills