We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help deciding: Hampton Inn Corolla or Hilton GI Kitty Halk?

montana
Level Contributor
200 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help deciding: Hampton Inn Corolla or Hilton GI Kitty Halk?

We are visiting Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, then taking three days to go to the coast. I have discounts at Hilton/Hampton hotels, so I've narrowed it down to these two hotels. We will be staying end of Aug. Wed-Fri. I want to be on the ocean. In an oceanfront room. We will probably go visit museums and see some lighthouses, but mostly I just want stare out at the ocean. (I live inland, and need my ocean fix)

Anyway, both are about the same price. Corolla is about $20 more, but it includes breakfast, which can be a big expense for our family of 5. (36,36,13,11 &7) It has a lazy river, which my kids may like, but then again you can find that inland. HGI Kitty Hawk has a great corner view room that I'm thinking of but may be s more crowded area.

Anyone want to give there opinion??

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help deciding: Hampton Inn Corolla or Hilton GI Kitty Halk?

We love the Hampton Inn and the Corolla setting.

We found, in the interest of economy if you're interested, that one can get one of the higher floor ocean viewing rooms (dunes you know) in the sort of base of the U shape and pay less than than the rooms right up at the dunes and ocean.

We love the sort of, well... Nantuckety...look and color.

We have enjoyed the breakfasts and service all around.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help deciding: Hampton Inn Corolla or Hilton GI Kitty Halk?

Kitty Hawk is a more crowded area, no question about it. The hotel does have a private pier, although much shorter after Isabel in 2003, for the use of guests.

The Hampton is pretty much in the middle of nowhere--between Duck and the commercial areas of Corolla, but convenient to both. Our daughter, her husband and the grand daughters stay there every year when they come for Thanksgiving. They love it, the breakfasts, too. I'd stay at the Hampton if I had to choose between the two.

At the Hampton you are maybe 10 miles south of Currituck Beach Lighthouse, which you can climb.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help deciding: Hampton Inn Corolla or Hilton GI Kitty Halk?

The Kitty Hawk area is not that crowded and even less so in late August after the schools go back. You are more central in Kitty, you won't have to fight the miserable traffic up and down rt 12 to Corolla all week and you will be closer to everything except the Currituck Lighthouse. The Hilton is also newer, it was built around 2005 I think.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help deciding: Hampton Inn Corolla or Hilton GI Kitty Halk?

Another idea...we like both products when traveling so it can be hard to decide just on the name. Have you checked the plethora of reviews here? Many are from this spring and summer. There are just about the same number for each one so it makes it a little easier to read the little rating bar chart they give just above the actual review entries and compare. Hampton Inn has no Terribles, no Poors, and just less than a handful of Averages. Mostly Very good and Excellent. But still the HGI offers a lot.

Just read between the lines. You can usually tell who is level headed, who has a similar situation to yours, etc. If you choose Hampton Inn some of your children...older one or two...might like some of the shops in Duck and they'd all like a run around the grounds at the Whalehead Club and anywhere you choose they'd love running on the beach with kites. Big evening kite place. Bring a few good kites. The cheap ones break up.

You won't be there long...maybe, what, one full full day and the other two part days arriving and departing? So bring a few things so you don't have to spend time buying them...binoculars to see stuff, good sun tan lotion.

Great photo ops for those holiday pix. Maybe bring similar themed shirts and one color shorts. People are usually nice about taking a quick photo of the family too. The beach is great for this...as well as the lighting on the Sound side at, say , Whalehead Club.

You'll have a great time.

5. Re: Help deciding: Hampton Inn Corolla or Hilton GI Kitty Halk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 09:00
Get answers to your questions about Kitty Hawk
More Kitty Hawk Topics