We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBX in April with limited lodging choices

Which Kitty Hawk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trumbull...
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
OBX in April with limited lodging choices

Hi there- I'm looking into trading a week of my family's timeshare for a place near the coast in NC in April. I know it's not particularly good beach weather that time of year, but my travel windows are limited. I will be staying there with my wife, and another couple with their two small children. I'm not terribly familiar with this area, so I need a little help to find out which area is best for convenient shopping. We will not want to spend a lot of money on activities, keep it very low key, cooking, drinking, shopping, maybe rent a pontoon boat for ourselves one day. Low key and convenient is what we're looking for.

My choices are: (looking at a map)

- Two resorts up just north of "Duck"

- Two resorts just north of highway 158

- One resort in Kill Devil Hills next to the Wright Brothers memorial

- One resort in Nags Head just south of Highway 158.

- Since the beach isn't a high priority in April, there is also one more resort near the town of New Bern- is this a nice town to spend some time in, and are there any inexpensive places to rent a pontoon boat?

Thank you!

ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OBX in April with limited lodging choices

the ocean around this area is called the Grave Yard of the Atlantic for a reason, Pontoon boat NOT a good idea. If you want a boat ride, check out a cruise with a reputable captain that knows the waters. There are Dolphin cruises, Head boats you can fish on, free Feery to Ocakroke Island, etc.

My choice of lodging would be Kill Devils Hill or Nags head, both central, both lots to do. The weather can be nice this time of year, enjoy walks omn the beach.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OBX in April with limited lodging choices

You can rent pontoon boats down here on the sounds in season. I think the going rate is $200 per hour. Nice family activity when the winds are calm.

Perhaps you could name the resorts so we could tell you what we think.

I think Duck would be a good choice.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OBX in April with limited lodging choices

These are all RCI resorts, and I found info on just about all of them here on TripAdvisor.

Golden Strand in Kill Devil Hills

Barrier Island's Ocean Pines Beach in Duck

Barrier Island Station in Duck

Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas in Kitty Hawk

Barrier Island Station in Kitty Hawk (this place looks very nice, and large units)

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OBX in April with limited lodging choices

Don't rule out the beach just because it's April. As far as the beach in April....are you thinking it's not necessarily so great then because you prefer strong sun and heat and lots of time in the ocean?

The climate of the Outer Banks is affected by the Gulf Stream. Warm water eddies from Gulf Stream moderate temperatures along the Outer Banks. In fact it is said the NC Outer Banks have the most temperate year round weather north of Florida.

However, temperate at the beach may not be what you're looking for if you prefer the stronger heat.

It'll likely be in the 60s and 70s during your stay. The little ones could get up a run on the wide beach. You could build sandcastles, look for shells and have wonderful long quiet walks. The wind on the beach is known for kite flying.

You could get more of a burn than in the summer, given sun on sand and ocean plus low cloud cover so do apply the high spf.

5. Re: OBX in April with limited lodging choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:41
Get answers to your questions about Kitty Hawk
More Kitty Hawk Topics