We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kure and beach replenishment

MD
Level Contributor
791 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Kure and beach replenishment

Hi - I saw the earlier thread on beach erosion at Kure from 2012, saying high tide is so high that it comes right up to the dune and that there's a steep drop off entering into the water. I also saw an article saying a replenishment project occurred last spring. Any idea what the beach is like now? I'm used to Corolla but am very frustrated with the traffic and cold water in the past few years, so am trying to decide on which beach to target this year: Carolina, Kure, Topsail, etc.

Wrightsville sounds too much like Ocean City, Md, which is a turn off. Kure seems like the perfect area for us, but am concerned about the water itself, especially for kids. Sharp drop off's isn't very kid friendly. Topsail seems like the best beach, but a lot less going on there.

Any advice?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kure and beach replenishment

I would go to Topsail. It depends on where you are on Kure Beach. We had high winds for several weeks in a row, combined with exceptionally high tides. All the replenishment done in 2013 has been washed away and then some. Between Texas Ave and K Ave there is literally no beach at high tide. The dunes are over six feet high in some spots with what you said.....a sheer drop off. Most private houses have no way up or down the dunes any longer. All the way down to the Riggings, the very last condo on Kure Beach, at high tide there is very little beach at most places.

I was up to Atlantic Beach recently and their beach fared much better. It is much wider than on Carolina and Kure Beach. Oak Island is super nice too.....quiet, kid friendly and lots to do. Hope that helps.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,978 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kure and beach replenishment

Ocean Isle has a great beach. Very wide. I haven't been down this year, but I would be surprised if the middle section of the island has any issues with erosion. The east/north end does have severe erosion, but the mid-section is fantastic. I think you might like it if you're looking for a beach with "things to do".

If you're looking for a very quiet, very wide beach, check out Sunset Beach. It has been building up for the past 30 years or so. It has never needed renourishment and the dunes keep growing. It's a great family beach for folks who are interested in surf and sand. If you need a lot of attractions right near by it might not be for you, but it's not far to Myrtle Beach for a night going to more attractions than you can shake a stick at.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kure and beach replenishment

Hi Marylander! I think panchopup may have just suggested your perfect beach! Too bad I didn't think of it back when we were having all our "renourishment" discussions. As mentioned, Sunset Beach has never needed renourishment, and I can't imagine it ever will....at least not in our lifetimes. It's a great, beautiful beach.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 04:22
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kure and beach replenishment

Wrightsville is absolutely nothing like Ocean Ciy.

Reply to: Kure and beach replenishment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kure Beach