We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Lake Lure/Ashville area

Which Lake Lure hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for Lake Lure/Ashville area

We (my husband, 2 kids age 12 & 14) and mother will be staying at a cabin on Lake Lure for 5 nights. Leaving next Sunday! I would love suggestions on what else you can do! We love hiking and nature. Plans so far are Bilmore Estate, Chimney Rock and Grandfather Mountain(?). Restaurant ideas would be helpful also!! Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Lake Lure/Ashville area

Drive into Hendersonville - great restaurants there - many downtown. Also lots of shops and the best bakery in America - McFarlan's! For great steak try The Peddler. Also - for a great view try Poplar Lodge up the Laurel Park Highway. In the area you can also visit the home/farm of Carl Sandburg at Flat Rock. I also suggest heading on out Highway 64 to Brevard - to the Cradle of Forestry. It's beautiful and quite interesting. I'll be there next week myself! Have a great trip.

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Lake Lure/Ashville area

There are about 6 waterfalls very close, 10-15 miles or so,from lake lure/bat cave area. White water rafting on the french broad river a little past marshall about half way to hot springs on rt 25. I use the nantahala outdoor center for my rafting trips. Gem hunting in spruce pines area. Also Linville caverns and linville falls, which is a nice hike and a very nice waterfall. Over at Brevard, there is a fish hatchery, looking glass falls and sliding rock. At sliding rock you can actually slide down this huge boulder that the creek water is running down, and splash into a pool of cooool refreshing water. Then walk back up and do it over and over until you get tired. They have a nice changing house where you can change into dry clothes. On a HOT day this place can become very popular, so if you go into this area, have the kids and extra change of clothes. I am not sure, but on rt 64 west past brevard, I think there is a tubing outfit that is on the "north fork french broad river" that takes people up the river over an tubing adventure.

Can't remember any good places to eat, sorry. Anyway hope some of this is of interest, have a great trip, jim

3. Re: Ideas for Lake Lure/Ashville area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 15:20
Get answers to your questions about Lake Lure