We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoky falls vacation rentals

lititz
1 post
Save Topic
smoky falls vacation rentals

Going to head down to the Magie Valley area in the fall.Found some cabins on the web rented through smoky falls vacation rentals. Any info..like or dislike..etc. would be appreciated. Last time I was down that way, got "burned " in Gatlinburg on a chateau rental

Asheville, North...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

I used to live in Maggie Valley - beautiful palce and much much better than Gatlinburg, unless somebody likes crowds.

I found HomeAway.com website that lists 99 rental cabins, homes, etc - nice collection. Here is the link: homeaway.com/NC-vacation-rentals/Maggie-Vall… (just copy and paste).

Good luck in searching for a place and of course enjoy your stay!

Maggie Valley...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

I've been 'burned' myself a few times. We try to put eleventy bazillion photos on our Maggie Valley Cottages website, so that people can be sure they know what they're getting.

If you see someplace that interests you, and it doesn't have enough pictures on the website to satisfy you, email and ask for more. Most honest folks are more than happy to oblige. (We all like talking about our places, what can I say!)

And there are a bunch of us around here that are friends and we're willing to make referrals. Just tell me what you want - if I dont' have it, I can probably send you to somebody who does.

We all offer something different -for instance, our cabins have 600 thread count sheets, fireplaces, jacuzzi baths, and decks over the creek, and are pet friendly. But maybe you're looking for something else. Take a look at several websites (hey, mine too!) and narrow it down a bit and then we can find you just the right spot.

Sandee in Maggie Valley

Cabins at Timberwolf Creek

Marion, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

We have a group that stays at River's Edge which is through Smoky Falls and me and my husband have rented Bubba D's through Smoky Falls. River's Edge is nice with easy access. The creek runs through the front yard, so we love that. Bubba D's was very steep getting to, but a very nice two bedroom cabin. We just got back from Maggie Valley yesterday and stayed with Smoky Falls Lodge.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

^^^Sandee,

I've always enjoyed the photos on your website, especically the aerial shots. I miss the webcam, though!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

I thought I had finally found a Great place to rent cabins in Maggie Valley,hoever,I will never use Smoky Mountain Vacation Rentals again.We had a Great Cabin with a wonderful location and view but this company bills you the ENTIRE $800 dolars up front AND the $200 security Deposit which they will not return for 45 days AFTER you depart.After calling, you will be told that 45 days is "Standard Company Policy"

This is unacceptable and certainly will not earn my return business.I rent cabins every few months in Pigeon Forge,Gatlinburg,Blue Ridge GA. and other areas and have never had a company charge everything 2 months ahead and hold your money for 45 days after.By the way,the cleaning fee is $105 (the highest I have paid to date) not to mention YOU HAVE TO CARRY YOUR TRASH WITH YOU OR YOU PAY ANOTHER FEE! Hot Tub fee is $50 and the reservation fee is $45!

This company just sticks it to you everywhere they can.

i will be using another company this fall when I return.

Maggie Valley...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

I will never understand how companies that 'fee' you to death stay in business. I finally put it right into my policies "NO SILLY FEES". No silly pet fee, reservation fee, firewood fee, hot tub fee, extra person fee, and the one that blows me away every time, the cleaning fee. We think you have a right to expect a cabin to be clean when you arrive, and to expect a cleaning crew to return it to a pristine state when you leave. Can you imagine if a hotel decided to charge you for maid service? I guess it's coming. Good grief.

Of course, I feel the same way about our B&B and tipping housekeepers. You're not allowed to tip at my place. I keep telling other innkeepers, "Pay Your Staff." Expecting my guests to augment my staff's salary is just ludicrous. (Please note that I am in the minority.)

Anyway. This is a real hot button of mine - fee, fee, fee.

I am SO SORRY that your experience with the rental companies has been so pitiful. Please don't let that discourage you from visiting our beautiful part of the mountains. We are not all like that! I PROMISE.

Come on back to Maggie Valley and let us show you some *true* Southern hospitality.

Sandee

p.s. about the trash... I do ask that renters take their trash. We don't have regular trash collection here, but have to haul our own. I give the renters directions to the collection center. Then I let them know when I am taking my own, and take theirs, too. And if they check out on Sunday (when the center is closed) I just expect them to leave some behind. It's no big deal. I don't particularly care for it when I get a 1 or 2 night stay and it looks like they brought the garbage from home and then cleaned out the SUV. But it happens. Most folks are remarkably respectful and love to think of this place as their own.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

You are right Sandee,Maggie Valley is a beautiful place to visit & I will try your B+B next time.This area is a rare gem.

I put Smoky Mountain Vacation Rentals on my last post but it should have read Smoky Falls Vacation Rentals.

I look forward to my next visit with you.

I think repeat business is a must in the Lodging industry.

Warren. Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

May I suggest going to Premier vacation rentals. Their website is www.pvrnc.com. They have over 90 properties which they handle for owners like us. We have our mountain cabin listed with them and have have very good results. If you call ask for Melissa and tell them Julie and Don sent you.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

MaggieValleyWeddings:

I understand the beef with fees as we have homes ourselves. Some of those costs we pass on as we do not hire illegals and so forth. It costs me between $88 and $110 to clean a home and clean they are. It is also my understanding the great State of NC wants to collect sales tax on that cleaning to boot.

Cleaning an entire home verus a small hotel room are two different jobs. The folks who work for us and we clean one of them ourselves, take at least 2 hours in each home. Quality costs and our homes book well because of their quality. Since we allow a single nights stay, we pass the costs on.

So while I hate it, my guests appreciate the fine job the crews do for our homes. The extra person and hot tub fees are a joke and we do not charge them.

I would encourage tamratat to check out VRBO as well.

When you go to Maggie be sure to check out the elk in Cataloochee Valley of GSMNP.

Enjoy your trip.

Maggie Valley...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smoky falls vacation rentals

Wow, would I love to be able to clean a house in just two hours!!! It takes 1.5 hours to clean one suite. Our smaller house takes 4 hours, the larger takes 5-6. Costs me $50-$100 or I do it myself. Either way, the cost is built in and yes you betcha the state and county get their sales & lodging tax. Folks still seem a lot happier to pay one rate (plus tax) and be done with it.

Of course, since we do have the B&B plus cabin rentals, that means we are inspected by the health department. (Generally speaking, rentals are not.) I'm proud to display the 100% rating for the 4th year running. So, yes, it does take more than a couple of hours to clean. We have showers plus double-size Jacuzzi tubs in all the bathrooms, too, which takes some extra effort to clean out the pipes as well as the tub itself. And the beds are all triple-sheeted, which means lots of extra laundry and time to make up beds. Stuff like that, and it all takes time.

It's not like I'm not aware of the cost in time and money to properly clean a rental. I just added it to the rental rate and post the whole thing together. Folks respect that! They don't have to GUESS what the real rate is, and the only math required is to add tax. (The state is not quite willing to jump on my 'no silly fees' bandwagon - ha!)

We just got so tired of fees every time we travel, so one day I decided to just figure them in, post the ACTUAL cost, and be done with it. Astonishing how popular that has been! We did away with pet fees when we realized that it was costing us nothing to go the extra mile in cleaning (we already do that) and it sure makes pet owners happy to feel their dogs are genuinely welcome here. We even did away with the security deposit! Nearly every guest is respectful of the property, and the deposit is no where near enough when you get the rare jerk who shows up every few years to wreak havoc.

So. My mantra remains "No Silly Fees". And I realize that loads of other folks have all sorts of interesting fees. I hope they keep doing that, and I hope they keep dreaming up even more ways to add fees. (Lately, I've noticed a doozy: a HOLIDAY fee. Oh, you actually wanted to come here during the season? They post the off-season rate and add a 'holiday fee'. Cracks me up.) Yes, I hope they keep finding more and more fees. Makes me look really good. :)

All right, obviously I should not drink the whole pot of coffee by myself and then post to TripAdvisor. But is sure is an interesting place for a discussion.

Get answers to your questions about Maggie Valley
Recent Conversations