We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clarification on elk viewing please

Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Clarification on elk viewing please

We are heading to NC next week. We are staying just north of Sylva. Best I can tell from reading a previous posting, I wil take US 276 to a right on Cove Creek Rd. That then turns into National Park Rd.

Other than the obvious of coming across elk, how will I know we are in the right place? do we go to the camp ground? Is there a ranger kiosk?

We just went to RMNP last summer so my kids got to see hundreds of elk. They will love seeing elk so close to home (we live in VA).

Any details you can give me about the elk would be great. Thanks so much!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
622 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clarification on elk viewing please

If you are coming on 276 from Maggie Valley, you turn left on Cove Creek Rd just before I-40. If you are coming on 276 from I-40, you turn right on Cove Creek Rd just after you get off I-40. The elk are best seen at dusk in the many meadows in the valley. No one particular place is better....just drive slowly and look for them or other stopped cars looking at them. We saw them in the field at the Palmer cabin. We saw them much more up close than the elk in the large parks at RMNP.

Maggie Valley
Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clarification on elk viewing please

Follow the directions and when you get of the gravel road back on paved road you are in the Valley they will be down there, there is a ranger station you can keep driving for another 2 miles and see them all around you in the meadow. Have fun.

Gabi

Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clarification on elk viewing please

Thank you. I will let you know if we have any luck.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clarification on elk viewing please

Don't be surprised by the road in. It gets narrow the closer you get to common viewing area. Just be careful at the curves and be prepare to share the road. Once you are near the open meadows, the road widens.

I've always prefered visiting in the mornings so I don't have to drive out in the dark.

Good luck!

5. Re: Clarification on elk viewing please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Maggie Valley
Recent Conversations