We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears and such

SC
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bears and such

We are planning a trip to Ghost Town in mid August. I've been reading, researching, etc. I couldn't help but notice all of the bear warnings for the GSMNP. I was initially looking at Deep Creek but we're not well versed on camping in bear country, i.e., food lockers. We're thinking of staying at Indian Creek Campground based a lot on the reviews here. Do we need to worry about bears in the campground? We are tent campers and drive a SUV (so no trunk to store our food). I really wanted to go check out the elk at Cataloochee one morning during our stay. I'd also like to check out Mingo Falls which I think is close to the campground. The "bear scare" kinda has me wary of wandering too far off the beaten path, which is kind of a bummer. What's realistic?

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bears and such

I would not worry about bears in August. They are busy eating berries that just became ripe.

I would go with Deep Creek. It is centrally located to what you want to see. Don't forget to check out the area west of Bryson City. It is beautiful!!!

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bears and such

I think the wisest course of action would be to check w/ National Park Rangers who can tell you what local bear activity has been. Bear are a very real issue in many areas throughout the year so you should be prepared. Friends who live w/in one mile of downtown Asheville frequently have bear in their backyard who rip up bird feeders, get into trash etc.

SC
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bears and such

Thanks for the good advice. My parents live in the Piedmont of NC and just this week there was 300 lb. bear spotted in their neighborhood (which is not rural)! I realize they could be anywhere, but I just feel really vunerable with only nylon surrounding me as I sleep :)

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bears and such

There were 3 bear sightings in the Piedmont within the last 2 or 3 weeks!

5. Re: Bears and such

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Maggie Valley
Recent Conversations