We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

If anyone on this forum is looking for a rental, please read this. We had been vacationing in Whittier, North Carolina, for a week, and decided to spend an extra week in Maggie Valley. We walked in to carolinavacations.com on Saturday, July 7, 2012. We told the agent we'd like a secluded spot with either a creek or a view on the property. She pulled up different units, and we picked one that said there was a creek AND a mountain view. We asked if we would be in a secluded spot, and she said yes. We paid with a credit card and left. When we got to our vacation rental there was a dried creek bed less than two feet wide, and no mountain view at all. The house was also in a neighborhood really close to other houses. We drove back to the rental office, but they had closed at one since it was Saturday. I called and left a message on their machine later that day. They didn't call back since they were closed. This morning my husband called an "after hours" number he found, and spoke with the same agent from the day before. My husband explained that there was no view, creek, privacy, etc. He didn't even ask for a refund, just for us to be moved to a comparable place. He even told her we would be very willing to pay the difference if there was a more expensive rental available. He explained the situation nicely (I promise), and the agent said she would call her manager and get back with us. When she called back, she told us there was nothing they could do because ALL of their properties had been rented (we were in there Saturday right before they closed, and there were LOTS of rentals available). At this point I got on the phone and asked if we could just get a refund. I told the agent that we would be happy to pay for the night we stayed, and that they could also keep our security deposit and cleaning fee. She refused to work with us at all. She told me it wasn't her fault that there had been a drought and that the creek had dried up, and she guessed the mountain view had "grown up". I told her I understood that she had no control over nature, but that the rental agency had plenty of control over what was advertised on their website. After this, I told her we had taken pictures and that my dad was a lawyer, and that he advised me that there had been a breach of contract since the unit was not described accurately. She said she'd call her manager once more. When she called back a third time, she again said there was nothing she could do. Had we been rude or demanded full reimbursement, I would maybe understand the manager's attitude a little better. The fact is, these people were not willing to work with us at all. I guess we get to spend tomorrow talking to an attorney and the rest of today finding another vacation rental. I am hoping that when the manager gets out of church this morning (which is where the agent on the phone told me she was), that she'll have a change of heart. I'll definitely post back if that's the case.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

Too hard to read. Next time use paragraphs.

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

I was typing from my phone. There were paragraphs, but when I hit the "submit" button, the paragraphs disappeared. Thanks, though.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

Thanks for the heads up.

I was wondering if this situation was resolved to your satisfaction.

St. Louis Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

What was the final result?

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

Yes, what happened???

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

Sorry about just now replying. After a ton of arguing and phone calls, we finally got most of our money back. They did charge us for cleaning and one night's stay, but it was better than nothing. We ended up renting a wonderful cabin through Rivermont Estates.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

Thanks for sharing. Did you dispute the charge through your credit card company or just wait on the manager?

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

It's always a shame to read that long-awaited vacations are diminished by poor accomodations. I'm glad you were able to find a place more to your liking, and it sounds like you did finally enjoy your vacation.

Congrats on getting most of your money back!

Port Saint Lucie...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

We had a similar issue with the same company. We rented (what was stated to be on their website) a secluded cabin with a beautiful cascading waterfall for a week and a half in July. Upon arrival, the waterfall was not functional and the house was littered with dead ladybugs. A part was needed to repair the waterfall (the office had been made aware of this but neglected to let us know), and the cleaning crew had not been notified they needed to come out to the cabin (someone "forgot"). The lack of communication irritated us but we were fine. However, when we discovered the air conditioner was not working we called the office yet again. The handy man came out to the cabin and informed us that he had been there before for the same issue, and the part he needed had not yet been ordered by the office. At this point, I was through calling, and we drove back into town to their office. They offered us additional cabins. We visited one that they said was secluded, but it was NOT. We returned the key and ended up heading to BigLots to purchase fans. The next day, the nice handy man stopped by and installed in 2 window AC units (one upstairs and one downstairs)...they were noisy but effective. I'm convinced that the noise is what kept the hummingbirds away from the porch. We were told we would receive a partial refund (one night free), but after monitoring our credit card statement for 2 months, nothing showed up. I called the office, spoke to the manager, and she said she couldn't refund our money. I told her she already authorized the refund months ago, and she said she would see what she could do. I told her we wanted to continue to utilize their services and use them in the future. The refund was reflected on our following statement. They are unorganized, misleading and just a plain waste of time. Since our experience, we still take family vacations but we leave them out of it completely! They are NOT worth the hassle!

St. Louis Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watch out for Carolina Vacations in Maggie Valley...

It's nice to know you got something out of it. We used Maggie Mountain Vacation Rentals this past fall and had an excellent experience. The Autumn Trails cabin was very secluded with a fantastic view. It was so secluded that our front wheel drive 4 cylinder car just did made it up one of the hills (after a rain). It was everything they said and more. We'll definately use them again on our next trip to that area.

Get answers to your questions about Maggie Valley
Recent Conversations