We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Mayberry!

Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Mayberry!

I'll be in Mt Airy on Sunday.

We plan to do the whole downtown, Snappy Lunch thing.

Is there something ya'll have done and enjoyed that I just don't want to miss?

We're stopping at the Rockford Country Store on our way in as I see it's closed on Mon and Tue. Plus a trip down to Pilot Mountain.

What else?

Food? Non-chain please.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Mayberry!

How early will you get to town on Saturday? If you are there in time you might check out the restored Downtown Mt. Airy Cinema. On Sat., Nov. 22, they have the weekly bluegrass jam in the upper level of the cinema from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. as the live radio show is broadcast. The radio show is called the Merry-Go-Round show and is the second longest running live radio show in the country. It is full time bluegrass and, if you're into the info, an old school 10,000 watt clear channel station. The only one in the country. Pros and beginners show up.

The Downtown Cinema has movies for just $3. You can call to get info on what's showing (every St., Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri) while you're in town: 336-786-2222

There is a tour of the town in a squad car which you can get at Wally's Service Station on Main St. www.tourmayberry.com or (cute) 335-789-OPIE.

Andy Griffith's homeplace is not far off Main St. You can google it. Depends on whether you're interested in Mayberry or Andy personally as well.

It was while travelling in this area we saw our first triple rainbow.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Mayberry!

Check surryarts.org for events - especially what's at Andy Griffith Playhouse on Sat. night. The Blue Ridge Parkway is just north of Mt. Airy - Chateau Morrisette Winery is close by as is Mabry Mill in VA - a great day trip.

Cana, Va - just up highway 52 has wonderful fresh produce.

There's a neat Amish store off Highway 421 in Yadkinville.

Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Mayberry!

Sadly because of Family obligations, we can't be ther until Sunday....

I saw all the music stuff on Saturday and did everything in my power to change stuff, but I lost(hear the violins playing?)

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Mayberry!

So sorry that you'll miss the music- maybe next time? Be sure to get a Rockford steak sandwich at the store! Rockford is a great little town- I love going in there and checking out all of the neat things they have. As far as other food goes, I'm not sure except for Snappy Lunch- those sandwiches are soooo good...... Have a great trip!

5. Re: 3 days in Mayberry!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Mount Airy