We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

Will it be very hot? I am thinking of coming to drive the Parkway and visit towns from Atlanta to Greenville and maybe go up to Primland in Virginia. The only time we can go is early August. I spent many summers in Alabama, and know the sort of heat, but we live in California now and my kids haven't experienced much humidity. Are the mountains cooler? Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,864 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

Yes the mountains are cooler, especially at higher elevations like Boone and Blowing Rock. Asheville is also cooler than Atlanta, but it is not as high as the Boone area so not as cool as you would find there.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

If you are going to be visiting this part of the country in August, the Blue Ridge Mountains will have the lowest temperatures. As panchopup says, the highest elevations will have temps that are the coolest. The areas around Blowing Rock, Mt Mitchell State Park, Waterrock Knob, Graveyard Fields, Mt Pisgah - all of these places in NC along the Parkway will have cooler temperatures than Asheville.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,584 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

Actually, that would be a good time to visit the Blue Ridge Parkway. It should be well before the big rush of Autumn color, and cooler than the lowlands, as mentioned.

We have loved late Spring, and late Summer, and while we love the Autumn colors, hate the traffic.

Now, in the various over-night stays, there will still be school-age children, and early September can get around that, but if it's not in your calendar, so be it.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

Sounds like a great trip! In August, I would be looking for some cold water too. You might consider the waterfalls in the Brevard/Highlands, North Carolina area. If your children are old enough, check out Sliding Rock. It can be crowded on weekends but it is a ton of fun!

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g49442-d25…

franklin-chamber.com/whattodo/waterfalls.php

brevardnc.com/category/play/waterfalls/

visitwaterfalls.com/the-great-outdoors/…

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

I think August is a fine time on the Parkway. It is cooler at higher elevations and comfortable. Just be prepared to go much slower per your overall trip travel time and note to get most services (gas, food) you must leave the parkway. Its a beautiful time to see the mountains in NC. Enjoy!

Rocky Mount, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

In August in the mountains of North Carolina it will be cooler than the rest of the state, but the humidity is lower in the mountains so it feels great. I drive in the Blue Ridge Mountains would be nice that time of year. There are some really nice views along the Blue Ridge Parkway near Boone, Blowing Rock and Linville. Go to www.travelnc.org for more information about where to go in the NC mountains.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

Great time of year. Rule of thumb temperature reduces by 3 degrees f for every 1000 feet of elevation so a 90 degree day in the valleys would be 75 at a 5000 foot elevation. We've actually felt cold and witnessed frosty drizzle in summer at Mt Mitchel. A great way to spend the early day exploring the moderate temps of the mountains then afternoons at a pool in one of the lower situated towns. Good balance. Travel well!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?

I grew up in Alabama too, and every August I congratulate myself for trading the beach for the mountains. I suggest you take either 25 or 26 from Greenville to Asheville then, after giving Asheville a good visit, get on the Parkway for Blowing Rock and on to Fancy Gap and Primland. Temps should be cool and the humidity is generally not bad. If you are looking for particular activities along the way, just post a question. Fishing is a little sketchy by August but golf, hiking, kayaking and canoeing, sets and crafts are going strong. Great restaurants all along the way and beautiful scenery every way you turn.

Reply to: Is it crazy to drive the Blue Ridge Mountains in August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Airy