We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

Hi Everyone

I have never been to Murphy before but have rented an awesome mountain cabin. We have vacation in Blue Ridge GA before and loved it but wanted to go some where different so we decided on Murphy.....

We are looking forward to some good old fashioned R&R but I also want to do a bit of shopping while we are there. Could anyone advise where the closest mall or outlett malls would be.

Thanks

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

Murphy is not exactly a shopping destination. The closest outlet mall is probably Tanger Outlet Center in Commerce, GA, and the closest mall is...probably the same. Chatanooga, TN is closer by crow but the road is long and winding.

There are endless local curio shops, antiques, roadside markets and even auctions. Pick up a copy of Charles Frazier's "Thirteen Moons" learn about the Cherokee culture of that area in the 19th century and go exploring to find the places mentioned in the book.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

If you are looking to rent a mountain cabin AND go to malls I would suggest somewhere around Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

for what little is available in commerce ga it's a long long way. i would suggest either the closer chattanooga malls or the outlet in dawsonville ga. but you are right there is nothing close by, that's why murphy is so far back up in the hills they have to pump the daylight in.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

Murphy is a quiet town and a great place to kick back and relax, You are not over whelmed with traffic and people. It is close to the Ocoee River which is some of the finest white water paddle sports in the nation. There are nice quaint shops and you can day trip to Blue Ridge or an hour away to Bryson City or Robinnsville. The Cherohala Skyway is a great road to auto tour on and there is boating and fishing all over the place from Lake Santeelah to Lake Fontana. It is a great southern Appalachain town with lots of character.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

Thank you everyone for the response.....can't wait to go.....R&R here I come!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

Bob summed up the town of Murphy well. You get more bang for the buck on a cabin here.

You are also close to the Nantahala Gorge for rafting and fishing. Don't hesitate to ask the forum for scenic mountain roads. There are many in that area. More than many. I could go on forever.

The best part about the town is how friendly the people are. I shall tell a small story. We had a breakfast buffet at a local resteraunt downtown. It was Sunday morning and food was OK. Our bill came to 16.00. I had a ton of 1.00 bills. So I counted out 16 of them and handed them to the cute gal behind the register. She said to me in that southern drawl... I don't have to count these do I sir. I said no. She promptly took them from my hand and put them in the registor and closed it. Said have a nice day sir. That would NEVER happen where I live.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

Jaded that is a great story....you are right that would not happen in to many places....I love the southern US States people just seem to be more laid back and friendly. I am really sorry to say that I don't even know who my neighbours are and I have lived on the same street for the last 8 years!

8. Re: Visiting Murphy NC and Looking For....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Murphy