We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall: weather & color change

Which Murphy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fall: weather & color change

I am coming to the mountains Oct 14 to the 23rd and wondering what the temps are that time of year? Also how is the color? The last two years I have stayed in North Carolina (Bryson City and Dillsboro areas) but a little later 10/20 - 10/20 and it was peak leaf season but last year it was way too cold. Many days the high was only 35 -37 which is way too cold for a south Florida girl, and it snowed one day, keeping me off the roads! I am hoping for days in the 60s low 70s, nights in the 40s, but still get to see the color change. What are my odds? I know Murphy is a little father south, so does the leaf change happen later?

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall: weather & color change

i wish I could give you a more detailed forecast, but the best I can do is this website:

weather.msn.com/local.aspx…

Scroll down and you will find the average highs and lows along with precipitation. I would love to go out on a limb and give you a definite, but meteorology is the world's most inexact science!

Good luck and I wish you well!

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall: weather & color change

Oh, I am sorry, I know that no one can predict the weather! I guess my question is really how does the Murphy area compare to the Bryson City/ Sylva area as far as weather and leaf changes. Is it the same, or does it happen a little later. Also, compared to the Blue Ridge/Blairsville area, do the leaves change earlier in Murphy area?

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall: weather & color change

I have stayed in the Murphy area the last 5 years during leaf season. All areas change at diff times. The Cherohala Skyway near Robinsville changes real early. It is in peak color around the 15th on the NC side.

You will be to early for color in Georgia. Try the higher elevation in the Smokies on the NC side of the park. The BRP from Cherokee to Ashville turns early. I would say by far your best bet for color around the 15th would be the NC side of the Cherohala Skyway and around Graveyard Fields on the BRP. Try highways 215 and 276 off BRP for early color as well. Quite a drive from Murphy but the drive getting there is half the fun.

The temps will be 70 and 45. The higher elevation will be much colder. Pack a good sweatshirt and jacket.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall: weather & color change

You can change the area you want to chekc by putting the town in the box in the upper left corner.

Another factor that comes into play is how much the weather (or, rain, specifically) plays in the times early in the spring and in the summer. There are just too many factors that come into play to give you an absolute answer. Good luck, anyway.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall: weather & color change

Jaded, since you have vacationed in Murphy quite a bit, how is the hiking in the area? I have done quite abit in Bryson City/Sylva/waynesville/Maggie vALLEY area and I am looking for something new, which is why I am considering Murphy or N GA area. I plan on driving to the BRP and the GSMNP, but I would also like to do some hikes where I have only a 20 -30 min drive rather than 1+hours. I see GA has quite a few parks in the Blue Ridge - Blairsville areas, but I would like to stay where there is more of a chance of having color as I sit out on my deck every eve with a cold beverage!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall: weather & color change

These trails are all within 30-60 minutes from Murphy. Color will be good on them all.

grahamcountytravel.com/activities_joycekilme…

grahamcountytravel.com/activities_slickrock.…

grahamcountytravel.com/activities_snowbird.h…

grahamcountytravel.com/activities_apptrail.h…

This is one of my favorite hikes and areas in North Carolina. Don't tell too many people about it lol. Have fun.

sherpaguides.com/north_carolina/mountains/sn…

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall: weather & color change

Thanks for the great links. I can't wait to get out of this Florida heat and into the cool mountains!

8. Re: Fall: weather & color change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Murphy