We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fun stuff to do!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
fun stuff to do!!

As a child/teenager my family and I went to Nags Head every year. Three years ago we came down but got stuck in a hurricaine the entire time so we didn't get to do anything. Now at 28 my fiance and I are making the trip down again. Any suggestions of fun stuff to do for people our age? I know it is a more "family friendly" area but are there any bars/restaurants that are fun to go to? Can you suggest the best all you can eat seafood buffet? We also want to rent jet skis, any suggestions on the best place to go for that and are there any places where you have some "freedom" not just going around in circles in a ropped off area on the jet ski? Sorry for all of the questions, trying to make this a fun packed trip! Thank you for all of your responses/suggestions. :)

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: fun stuff to do!!

Our family of five (my husband and I, our son 19 and our daughters 17 & 11) spent Spring Break in South Nags Head last month. I have posted a traveler review and photos on TripAdvisor under Dunes South.

We ate at Sam & Omie's in Nags Head and Sandbar & Grille in Buxton. Both were very good. There are many great places to eat in the Outer Banks.

Regarding activities, I'm sure you are aware that you can go hang-gliding at Jockey's Ridge. We considered it, but didn't. We all agreed that horseback riding on the beach would be fun, memorable and a very unique way to experience Cape Hatteras National Seashore... and it was! We highly recommend it! If this is of interest to you, contact Sylvia at Equine Adventures.

Have fun... I hope you find this helpful!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fun stuff to do!!

There is a place that rents PWC’s on the road to Manteo they are on the right just before you go over the bridge also Kitty Hawk Sports rent them too and they are in that area too.

I would take a trip to Ocracoke one day visiting the light houses on the way, stop by the Haul over area just south of Avon and rent or watch the wind surfers and kit surfers too a nice beach there with little current just to wade or relax on a float Lets not foget the Grave Yard of the Atlantic Museum at the ferry docks in Hatteras .

I would go to Ocracoke early as the ferries back up after 930 am

If you have 4x4 go up to see the ponies in Corolla or there are some tours that will take you , also another light house to see going up.

I love the Aquarium in Manteo and visiting Fort Raleigh, Roanoke Island Festival Park.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fun stuff to do!!

For fun places/bars to go, my husband and I enjoy the OBX Brewing Station, Kelly's Tavern, Slamming Sammies, and Tourtugas Lie.

But do not drink and drive in OBX, call a cab if you plan on going out drinking for a night.

As far as a seafood buffet I am not sure, I typically don't eat at all you can eat places, as most of the seafood is fried. I think I would try Jimmy's Buffet in Kitty Hawk.

Have a great trip!!

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fun stuff to do!!

Ditto on the drinking and driving. We always take cabs. Most recently on the yearly golf trip my husband and his friends used Coastal Cabs. They were reliable and serviced the whole area. Here is their link:

5. Re: fun stuff to do!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:21
Get answers to your questions about Nags Head
Recent Conversations