We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Allegany
4 posts
Save Topic
Weather

How is the weather the last week of Sept.?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

Really pretty time of year in OBX. Still warm during the day, sweater or jacket at night. Water temp is cooling off, but still quite swimmable. Crowds have thinned out nicely.

Always that nasty threat of a hurricane, but never can tell.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
753 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Great time of year to go to OBX. First and foremost it's a heck of alot cheaper, and most the stores offer 50% off all items. You can get some great deals in these stores. I've never been there in the summer, but it seems like restaurants have pretty good early bird type dinner specials. Not sure if this is the norm in the dead of summer or not.

As for your question, the weather is great. I'm not a big fan of the heat, so that's another main reason we don't go in the middle of summer. As mentioned, some nights can get chilly and there is always the risk of hurricanes (I stayed in Avon one year and got evacuated), but I've never been remoltely cool during the day. You still get a great tan, and you don't sweat constantly.

Another great reason to go then, not many people. Like I said, I've never actually been there in the summer time, but know people who have, and it seems like it's alot calmer to go off season. You can set yourself up on the beach, and I've never had anyone withing probably 20 feet of me.

I know you just asked about the weather, but I figured I'd let you know why I chose to go every year in September.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

How is the traffic on the way down and back at this time of year. ? We will be going from Pa. also.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
753 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

We usually leave late, late Friday night early Saturday morning (2 AM ish) and we really never have much traffic problems. As always we hit a little on 95 and if we head towards Avon it's usually a steady drive with moving traffic to there from Nags Head.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Thank you Pens4821

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

We always used to go to Nags Head in Sept. which was usally great weather. Water warm and all the above amenities already mentioned. Went this year in mid-May and we were also fortunate to have good weather.

We used to do the all night drive from Pittsburgh, but too much for us anymore - we now stop in Richmond overnite - can find cheap motel to sleep overnite (near airport); visit "Mexico City" ; the restaurant (good cheap food/margarita), leave early the next day to get to Nags Head - no traffic, and you feel you have an extra vacation day - sometimes when doing the all night drive was so exhausting, we lost a whole day to enjoy the beach recuperating from driving. Ahh, just maybe getting older!

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

I agree with you about stopping overnight rather than making the trip in one day. We are coming from Port Allegany which is about four hours north of Pittsburgh. We usually do a stopover in Suffolk, Va. but as we are getting older that is getting to be a long trip. Arriving on the Outer Banks in the A.M. does make things more enjoyable even though we can't check into our rental home until later in the day. No traffic and it doesn't feel like you lose a day if you do it that way.

8. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 16:18