We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NJ to Nags Head

new jersey
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
NJ to Nags Head

Looking forward to our trip next week, but want to get there without traffic hassles.

Can anyone suggest best route. My map and mapquest suggest 95 to 13

they show this to be about 8.5 hours my concern is traffic on Rt. 13 because it is so small. Also lack of rest stops.

Rt 95 shows that it will take 9.5 hours

Any other suggestions would be appreciated quickest way possible since there are small children in the car.

Thank you in advance.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NJ to Nags Head

Avoid 95 at all costs. There are plenty of places to stop along 13. I have been going up and down 13 between Wilm DE (where I grew up) and the Va Beach area where I went to college and now live for the past 25 years. We have never taken 95. Worked out fine for when our son was young too.

Have a safe trip!

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NJ to Nags Head

Take Rt 13 to around the Dover, DE area. Switch to Rt 113, this will take you to the southern end of Salisbury, MD. and then you can pick up Rt 13 again. This will avoid the speed traps and small towns with lots of traffic lights on Rt 13. There is a very nice rest area just north of Syrmna, DE on Rt 13. After that you'll have to use fast food restaurants. You can stop off at the rest area before or on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. You can stop off at The Border Station at the VA/NC line for gas, snacks and bathroom break. There is a great roadside farmers stand in NC. It's the one preceeded by a bunch of old farm tractors parked along side of the road. It's not the two POWELL's stands. If you're checking in on Saturday there will be a huge back up of traffic just getting onto the OBX at the Wright Brothers Bridge.

westchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NJ to Nags Head

I see that you posted last year but I am curious which route you ended up taking. We traveled from the NY suburbs to Nags Head on 13 and I was ready to pull my hair out with all the stop lights and reduced speeds. I would take 95 with its speed any day. We are going back to Nags Head next week and I am debating which route. So far 95 is winning, in my book, even though Google, Mapquest, etc says otherwise.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NJ to Nags Head

I would still pick 13. I life here in Va Beach, but frequently travel to visit family in Wilm DE. Once you reach Richmond-the traffic to Hampton Roads can be horrible. The Hampton Roads tunnel frequently is backed up or stopped. Traffic in our area is very heavy on Sat and Sun.

Not the way I would want to begin a vacation.

Richmond, VA
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NJ to Nags Head

Like previously posted, avoid having to travel between Richmond and Hampton Roads at all costs. If you do decide to go 95, take it down just past Petersburg and hit 460 to 64. This will bypass all 64 traffic between Richmond and the Hampton Roads, and put you back on 64 right before you hit route 168 toward Nags Head. Helpful hint, do not speed on 460. 460 is a mixture of town and 55 mph zones, but it beats adding 45+ minutes onto your trip for traffic between Richmond and Hampton Roads. Not saying this route is better than 13 because I don't travel from up north, but I have going to Nags Head for 30 years, and know the best route from 95 around Richmond.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NJ to Nags Head

uh oh, you missed the opening of route 1toll road that bypasses all of the slow 13 traffic! From Philly, I get on 95 around the airport, take 495 bypass around Wilmington, briefly get on 95 again and then take Route 1 toll road. (right hand exit from 5 lanes of 95)That road zips (speed limit 65) past the stop and go of 13! I too suffered those long stop and go sessions until this road opened. Eventually you will go through a toll both and see the signs toward Norfolk. There it will get you back on 13 but well below Dover. You will have some stop lights but you will be able to tolerate it better since you made great time on route 1 bypass.

7. Re: NJ to Nags Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 08:16