We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to see wild horses?

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Va
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to see wild horses?

Does anyone know where the best spot/time is to get a chance at seeing wild horses on the beach? I'll be in nags head for a week and this will be my first visit so i am not familiar with the area.

btw where is the part of the beach that you can drive your 4x4 down it? I'll be staying close to Dunn Street.

Thanks

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

Just head north to Corolla the paved road will end you will just need to look We found most of them over the dune but you might get lucky and see some on the beach.

You do know about airing down right?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

Head to Swan Beach or Corova. That is north of Corolla and in the 4x4 area.

Va
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

Really there is no one place to sit and see wild horses? I guess it's hit or miss.

airing down for the sand to grip better?

Thanks again.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

Airing down in order not plow threw the sand but to float over it, No you don't want to grip better you just dig in and there is no bottom to the sand so you go down to the frame and then you are stuck. take a look at this site it will help you understand a little better

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/id2.html

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

We have been going for years and the first year saw nothing because we did not drive far enough. You need to drive at least 6 miles--see the old coast guard building that is now a real estate company and drive north on the road in front of it. You will come to the canals. You can always find some horses in that general area.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

Wow, I know the horses had to be moved further north for their own safety but it was so cool to see them wandering the beach around Whalehead Beach and Corolla. We rented a house one summer on the sound side at Corolla Light and the horses came every evening and spend the night UNDER the house. We'd hear them bumping around under there all night long.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

I have heard they still wander around corolla and the light house area--but we usually stay down the road in Duck and take an expedition and do not seem to have luck seeing them there. Maybe it is the time of day, but we have always seen them when we drive up the 4x4 area that I described. Just make sure you don't go at high tide or you will be driving in some water--my wife definitely does not like that feeling!

8. Re: Best place to see wild horses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 05:17