We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how does nagshead compare to topsail island

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
334 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
how does nagshead compare to topsail island

I just returned from Topsail Island..I was actually in North Topsail Island.

We were rather surprised at how laid back it was in reference to things to do..

The beach was probably the cleanest and nicest I have seen. We just couldn't really find anything to do in the evenings. We stayed at St Regis so we were further down the beach which made us even further from grocery stores, what little shops were there and even restaurants.

I have been considering Nags Head for a couple years now and thinking that will be the plan for next summer.

My question is however is it similar to Topsail as far as options of shopping, restaurants and other things to do?

I have also been to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head..I loved Hilton Head.

Both of these two had more of what I like in a beach vacation so with that in mind will I like Nags Head or is it just like Topsail Island and not much to do in evenings? If so I may just scratch it or go for a shorter period than a full week like I had planned.

thanks for any advise..

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how does nagshead compare to topsail island

I've never been to Topsail Island, but I've been to the Outer Banks many times. If you go north of Kitty Hawk to Corolla or Duck, you'll be in the more resorty area. Stay between Kitty Hawk and South Nags Head and you're in the thick of the "action", which, relaistically, there isn't a lot iof. There are many restaurants and shops in this area, along with movies, miniature golf, and the usual beach activities. Further south, it's way laid back, with limited restaurants and activities, but that's what we go for. There are also lots of windsurfing, kite surfing, and fishing in this area.

Don't expect amusement parks and boardwalks on the Outer Banks, but you'll find plenty to do.

ohio
Level Contributor
334 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how does nagshead compare to topsail island

So I should avoid south nagshead ? At least for what I'm looking for ?

How about kill devil hills ? I've considered renting a couple different homes there.

So there is nagshead and south nagshead ? Is that correct ?

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how does nagshead compare to topsail island

Hi, LInda! If I were in your shoes, I would do another post in the beach forums and title it, "What is the best beach in North Carolina for night life?" and then ask some specific questions in your post. I think you will pick up some responses from like-minded people. The two general beach forums are:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g616326-i10763-Out…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659485-i12189-Nor…

I think nightlife may be important enough to you to start on that end and then look at the beaches to see if you will like them. Just a thought.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how does nagshead compare to topsail island

Having been to both Topsail, I understand where you are coming from-beautiful but not too much in the way of evening entertainment. I would recommend the Nag's Head or South Nag's Head area if you are looking for a little more choice. If you stay in South Nags Head, you are a little removed from the traffic but still close enough to drive to eat, shop etc...

PA
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how does nagshead compare to topsail island

Linda,

There is a short thread below about S. Nags Head that may give you some information.

I have never been to Topsail so I can't provide any comparisons with any areas of the OBX. If you are looking for an area with a lot to do though, I would suggest Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, or Nags Head. These are the most commercial areas. Unless you are really looking for signs, you can't really tell when you have gone from one town to the next. We generally stay in KDH, but go shopping and to the restaurants in all three towns (in addition to Duck which is further north).

6. Re: how does nagshead compare to topsail island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 06:16