We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEACHES of south nags head

Clarksburg, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
BEACHES of south nags head

We always stay in KDH/Kitty hawk area when we vacation over july 4th every year. This year we are looking for a slightly bigger house that accepts pets-most of the choices in our price range are in South Nags Head. We had been told years ago to avoid this are but not sure why. Can anyone give us reviews of beaches/area of South Nags head and reasons why it might not be the best area for family that loves the beach?

MD
Level Contributor
791 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEACHES of south nags head

That area has been subject to major erosion issues, so people steered folks away due to the condition of the beach. Last summer, there was a mjor beach replishment project that dumped a bunch of sand in South Nagshead. That should have changed things making it more attractive to renters. There are conflicting reports on that online. So perhaps someone who's there now can comment from personal observation . . . how do the beaches in SNG look now?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEACHES of south nags head

There were some sections of beach that were right up next to or under some homes in 1 or 2 areas of South Nags Head. Since they did the beach nourishment there last summer the beach width is no longer an issue so the fear of renting there has greatly diminished. Many people love South Nags Head because of the lack of commercial businesses there (the pier is the exception) and the quiet area there. Try it, I bet you will like it and you are just 4-5 miles from Nags Head with tons of stuff to do.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 17:26
Clarksburg, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BEACHES of south nags head

Thanks so much. going to continue the search for the right house, but now SNH is not off limits.

any other comments are welcomed.

cat

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEACHES of south nags head

I was in SNH last week and the beach is much wider than before the nourishment. Now if the nor'easters just stay away.

NJ
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEACHES of south nags head

Was at Sth Nags Head last summer during their beach renourishment program visitng my sister who was staying there - we were staying at Kitty Hawk and I am gald we did.. If I had rented there and had not been told, whcih my sister was not, I would have been pissed. There were sections of the Sth Nags head beach last summmer that had bull dozers and front end loaders right on the beach along with 2 to 3ft high pipes you had to climb over in some sections just to get to the beach - you could hear the off shore sand pumping lines running all night long.. Yes it made the beach much wider but almost too wide like almost a football field or better wide where we were. It was a longgggggg walk to get to the waters edge... We had teen agers and both my sister and I said if you had little ones that would have been a pain. What was also sad was the lack of sea birds... it was almost as f the replenishment scared them away... it was kind of eerie.. Where is the project at today I have no idea but this was what it was like last summer so if considering I would check into it and not with the realtors cuz they will tell you what you want to hear... go on Nags Headweb site here http://www.townofnagshead.net/

Good luck... Kaya

6. Re: BEACHES of south nags head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 10:30
Get answers to your questions about Nags Head