We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

Cleveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

We are trying to plan an Outer Banks vacation in late August, September or early October. We will have four adults and four kids ages nine and younger. We want an oceanfront private house not a condo or a hotel -- preferably with an actual ocean view in front and not the dunes. Budget about 2500. I need help because I can't read any more reviews - my eyes are going crossed! Also is the ocean water too cold to swim in in September? We are thinking Kill devil Hills or Nagshead or Kitty Hawk... But I don't know what's best for kids or shells or fishing or anything! Can someone please give me some advice?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

I would avoid reviews, you hear from some people that have been to one place - that place, or you hear about a problem that might have been caused by the previous renter(s) trashing the place and it never got cleaned up properly. What are the chances that will happen again? Who knows, and cleaners don't do the same house each week and there is a large turnover of them because the pay is poor at best.

Picking a house is somewhat of a leap of faith, check pictures and trust the company to provide good accurate ones. Most all 2+ story oceanfronts in Nags Head and Kill Devil provide a good ocean view. All in Kitty Hawk do and all 1 lot back do because the oceanfront lots are small in Kitty Hawk. Some on Hatteras can be blocked by a dune so you have to select carefully.

Sept is the best weather to come as long as there are no named storms, but fear not as they do not sneak up on you. We get plenty of warning and most people leave a day or two too early, remember you have a place to go to == you call it HOME. We have to stay or go find someplace, so we stay.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

You're right, reading all of the reviews is mind-boggling. Find a house you can afford in KH, KDH, NH or SNH. They are are similar towns. Your budget is tight for what you want., but the rates will nose dive in late Sept and Oct. Most of the rental agencies are great to work with. We've had issues with some of our rental houses, but they were corrected in a day or two. The water should be fine in Sept, I don't know about later. Buy the rental insurance and pack the necessities of life. Rental houses are barren of any spices, wrap, foil, etc you reach for in your kitchen at home. Renting a "semi-oceanfront" or "fronts the beach" house would save money. I budget $125 day for activities (family of 5). This doesn't include eating out.

Toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

House rental prices start to be reduced for the last week of August, with further reductions in September. However, you still may not find oceanfront for $2500 per week. Semi-oceanfront, even one house back can be a lot more affordable and may even have an ocean view. Thanks to google maps satelite views you can see if a house has obstructed views or not and how close to the beach.

Main attraction of the OBX is the beach. Water should be warm until mid-September, beyond that depends on the weather. Not a lot of shells, so not much shellling.

For kids, there's mini-golf at Kill Devil Hills and go-karts at Corolla. Also sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge and Wright Bothetrs memorial may be of interest.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

I just looked at the agency we use, Joe Lamb Jr, and found 6 properties the week of 9/14 that are oceanfront with at least 4 bedrooms and have a pool.

But I would book quickly. Highly advise that you get the trip insurance for that time of year.

Great time of year to travel to OBX....few crowds, water still warm and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper!

Hamilton, OH
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

I was in your boat in 2011 when I planned our first beach trip to OBX for September of 2011. I stumbled upon a wonderful realty company that I liked so much that I booked another trip thru them for this summer. Seaside Vacations: http://www.outerbanksvacations.com/ We went the 3rd week in September because my son was in preschool at the time. We were able to score a beachfront house for 1/3 of the money. You will have much more choice because it is hard to find smaller houses, but we did find a perfect 2 bedroom and it spoiled us! It is a great time to go weather-wise, we lucked out because it was about 3 weeks after the hurricane so things were back on track by the time we got there for the most part other than some of the roads closed and some standing water. Mosquitos weren't as bad the week we went either. We stayed in South Nags Head in a more residential area. We didn't really need a pool at that time since the beach was so nice, it got warm but never too hot. Some of the places though, the pools close after labor day so don't spend extra for a pool if it will be closed so check that out first. We really hardly ever left our beach house other than to go out to eat a few times, we just were content to stay on the beach and relax and spend time as a family so I can't tell you places to go. We did go to Jeanette's Pier which was neat, there was a surfing competition going on. It was close to grocery stores, a little outlet center, and there is a really great urgent care there too which we had to stop at unfortunately for my son (nothing serious). This time we are going to see Bodie Lighthouse, go to Manteo, Jockey's Ridge and shop in Duck. Or, maybe we'll just hang out on the beach....Enjoy!!

6. Re: Help! Trying to plan first OBX trip with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:17