We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Seafood

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
VIRGINIA
1 post
Save Topic
Fresh Seafood

This will be our first family trip to the Outer Banks and

we are staying in Manteo at Pirates Cove. I was wondering

if there where any suggestions on where we can pickup

good fresh seafood to take back to the house to cook

ourself. We have three small children and rather than

go to a buffett we thought this would be a better idea.

Looking for good suggestions.

Thanks

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Seafood

Hi Finsup! I am going to venture an answer to your question as no one else has yet replied. I remember buying seafood in Manteo years ago, but cannot find anything when I look on line now. If you find that to be the case when you arrive, there is a seafood market across the causeway in Nags Head at MP 16 1/2, called Whalebone Seafood.

As far as your children are concerned, it is considerate of you to be concerned about taking them to restaurants. However, the Outer Banks is very family friendly, especially during the earlier dinner hours. I think you may find lots of families with their children dining out.

Hope your family has a wonderful time in Manteo. While you are there, don't forget to visit Manteo Booksellers, a fabulous bookstore for the whole family!

washington DC
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Seafood

We've gone to Nags Head for several years and actually haven't found a buffet. There are some excellent restaurants and for a family with kids I'd recommend Basnight's Lone Cedar. It sits on the water about mile marker 16. Lots of food at a reasonable price.

The Red Drum is a nice place, reasonably priced, everything from hamburgers to salads and seafood. Also has a fine selection of draft beers. Across the street from Red Drum is a hamburger restaurant that advertises the best burgers in Nags Head and they are pretty good!

Ashburn, VA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Seafood

Whalebone Seafood is a great place to buy fresh local seafood. It is owned and run by two local families. They will steam shrimp to order (and probally more).

I also agree with previous poster, the Outer Banks is full of families - take the kids out.

Near you I recommend RVs (the kids will love looking for the small creatures in the water), Basenight's Lone Cedar, the Dunes (fantastic for breakfast, but good for seafood also).

For a real experience go over the bridge toward Manteo and make a left at the light, then follow almost to the end to the Fisherman's Wharf Restaurant. It is above a real working fish processing facility. Fantastic food and atmosphere - very good for kids.

insiders.com/outerbanks/main-restaurants5.htm

http://www.visitncne.com/dining.asp

i'd skip the buffets, but other than that you almost can't make a mistake - have fun.

Fun things to do with kids:

On Roanoke Island (Manteo)

* Illuminations: Afternoon Classics at Roanoke Island Festival Park

* Summer Children's Performance Series at Roanoke Island

* Festival Park

* NC Aquarium

On "Outer Banks"

* Kitty Hawk Kites - every Wednesday is Kid Day (check out their website http://www.kittyhawk.com/community/events.cfm)

* Jockey's Ridge State Park - across from Kitty Hawk Kites - climb a HUGE sand dune.

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
41 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Seafood

I can't add much to Nancyanne. She hits it on the head.

You might want to try Darrel''s in Manteo next to McDonald's. It's a small family owned restaurant frequented by many locals as well as tourists. Darrels is open for lunch and dinner, CLOSED on Sundays. Take a right out of Pirate's Cove toward Manteo. Turn right at the light. Darrels is on your right.

5. Re: Fresh Seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 23:18