We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help w/ outer banks

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
help w/ outer banks

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thinking late july or early-mid august. 2 adults, 10-1/2yr old and 4 yr old.

want to rent a cottage. looking at kills devil ....what if any are ideas? info?

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help w/ outer banks

Hi laob! If you are comfortable with using the internet, I would google "Outer Banks Rentals." Lots of local realtors will be listed. Start your search for a cottage to rent by typing in the features you are looking for, i.e., town, proximity to beach, number of bedrooms, etc. Look at several realtors to get ideas for what is available.

These sites are also good for providing information about the different communities on the outer banks and what ammenities are available, like swimming pools, fitness facilities, access to the sound, etc. You have mentioned Kill Devil Hills. I suppose there is something about that area that interests you?

If you are not comfortable searching via the internet, I would recommend phoning a few and getting them to send you their catalogues. Sun Realty, Twiddy, Village Realty, are a few you might want to contact.

The sooner you begin your search, the better. You have chosen peak season and it may be a little harder to find exactly what you are looking for.

Please ask any other questions if I have not included something you were interested in particularly.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
499 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help w/ outer banks

My husband and I used Kitty Dunes (www.kittydunes.com) last year for our vacation. We stayed in a small home "between the roads" with our 2 dogs (no children) in Kitty Hawk for about $1000 (rent, taxes, insurance, dog fee, processing) and had the time of our lives! Kitty Dunes offers everything from the small cottage on the soundside to upscale mansions right on the water. If you can't seem to find a house to suit your needs with Kitty Dunes than I would suggest going to www.outerbanks.org and linking to all the sites for other rental properties. I know that some people like quieter areas of the OBX, but we like the Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area. It has all the shopping/dining/activities you can hope for as well as beautiful (not too crowded) beaches. We have been during August and have never had a problem with finding the perfect spot to enjoy the beach! Hope that you can find what you are looking for!

Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help w/ outer banks

We were in Nags Head in mid-May and loved it. Kitty Hawk is nice as well.

I would second the previous poster's suggestion: Check out what you can find online. Most of the larger realty companies (I'm thinking joelambrj.com, sunrealtync.com and carolinadesigns) have very detailed descriptions and pictures online.... you can put in your criteria for the search and get back houses that meet your needs.

Good luck - - and enjoy!!

jen

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help w/ outer banks

I think that the best value rentals in the outer banks are available at http://www.joelambjr.com (Joe Lamb Junior Realty).

For Memorial Day week, we got a very nicely-appointed, clean house (4 BR, 3-1/2 Bath) on the beach road with a lovely ocean view (no houses on the beach side of the beach road at that point) at MP6.2 (Kill Devil Hills, just 2 blocks from Avalon Pier & Awful Arthurs) for less than $1000 including all fees. I would estimate the house to be only about 10 years old, and in very good shape. I've already reserved the same week for next year. Terrific value.

5. Re: help w/ outer banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Nags Head