We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Needed items in rental house

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Needed items in rental house

We are renting a house for the first time for the whole family this year. Usually just hubby and I, and we just stay in a hotel. So I am stressing now about what I really need to bring. Our house is in seven sisters. I will get food when we get there and our house sounds well equipped. But what are some items that you wished you would have brought?

PA
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Needed items in rental house

Most rentals are fairly well equipped with the items that you would need to prepare meals. One of the biggest complaints that I have read about however, have to do with knives that aren't sharp and pots and pans that are of a poor quality. Keep in mind that this is not true with all rentals, but it does seem to be one of the more common issues noted. If you haven't done so, you may want to look for reviews of your rental to find if past renters mention a "well stocked kitchen," or any deficiencies. Don't stress too much. There are plenty of stores where you will be able to buy anything that you don't have.

Since you are used to staying in hotels, you'll need to be aware of the linen/towel situation. Some rentals include them, while others offer them as an option for an additional fee.

Enjoy your visit!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Needed items in rental house

Most homes are well stocked but 1 thing we bring from home is Spices! They are pretty expensive to just buy for the week and they travel well. We also bring our paper products because they are much cheaper at our local wholesale club. But for pots and pans we have been pretty lucky in most homes but have had to improvise a bit in some. Oh one last important item that we were shocked to not find in a couple of homes is a wine opener! You dont want to be without one!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Needed items in rental house

Yes to spices. Most rentals have salt and pepper, but that's about all you can expect. You may need to bring or buy some cleaning supplies like dishwasher detergent or dishwashing liquid. Sometimes the previous renter will have left some, but not always. Bring toilet paper for sure. At least a couple of rolls to hold you over until you get to the grocery store. Paper towels are nice to bring too, but you can buy them when you get there, too. You might want to bring some plastic garbage bags for the kitchen trash can. You usually don't need to bring a whole roll, but just some off your roll from home. A bath mat can be nice to bring. Not all houses come with them, but some do. You might have a favorite implement for washing dishes (sponge, dish cloth, green scrubby) that you'd like to bring. There will most likely be something there, but it might not be what you're used to.

hth

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Needed items in rental house

I knew I would get some great feedback. Never thought of spices or bottle opener. We have several because every time we camp we forget one and have to buy one. lol Great ideas.......and my list gets a little longer. Thank you!

richmond
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Needed items in rental house

There is a huge Dollar Store in the Outer Banks Mall near you. If you need anything you can get it there. Measuring cup, dish towels etc.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Needed items in rental house

We bring any favorites or things that we know make things easier at home. Keurig? The extra large pan that a lot of owners don't spring for. Let me throw in bug spray while I think about it. Lots of towels. They get wet and used fast and don't always seem to recycle fast enough. Detergent. Footwear....flip flops, sneakers. How about kids? Plan games and fun things among a few family members for relationship building. Talent show. Making funny hats. If you have time, you might get some thsirts in one color with the family name on it if all are descended from one family. First aid stuff. Sun tan lotion. Kites. Any cute or funny or memorable prizes for the last night or next to last night....for who came the furthest, who came with the most kids, just make things up. Have a prize for each child and each couple or single. Don't leave a unit out. Oh, binoculars.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Needed items in rental house

Dish towels for the kitchen to dry dishes etc.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Needed items in rental house

In addition to the previous ideas, we also bring a $ store pump soap and hand towel for each bathroom.

Ziplock sandwich bags, clothespins(to close chips), pens/scissors/tape, plastic wrap, foil, and napkins.

Matches/lighter, flashlights, and citronella candles.

Clorox wipes and spray cleaners.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Needed items in rental house

Your favorite coffee and brewer. Wish I had mine on vacation. Taking it next time. Wine bottle opener for sure.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Needed items in rental house

Your favorite coffee and brewer. Wish I had mine on vacation. Taking it next time. Wine bottle opener for sure.