We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic to the OBX

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic to the OBX

We are leaving for the OBX for the first time on Sunday. Our check in time is 4:00 PM. How is

traffic ? I've heard it can be a nightmare. One friend recommended that we leave at 5:00 AM to beat the traffic. Is that necessary ?

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic to the OBX

Sunday is not bad. No need to leave at 5AM. The horror stories are for Saturday. That said, it'll take about 5 hours drive time. If you are going north to Duck or Corolla, traffic on route 12 can be a bit slow.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic to the OBX

Thanks. We're staying in Nags Head. Any suggestions for good eats ? Steamed crabs ?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic to the OBX

I would agree with above, Sunday is not AS bad as a Saturday arrival. If you were leaving Saturday, I would say no later than a 4am departure. Had some family go there not too long ago from NOVA and it took nearly 9 hrs, and they left at 7am.

There are a million places to eat in Nags Head. Just drive down the main road and there will be a place to eat every 20 feet. Enjoy!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic to the OBX

Greetings! Try the Sunny Side Oyster Bar, in the town of Williamston, N.C., great seafood. ( before getting on 64E).

I hope this helps.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic to the OBX

Thanks !

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic to the OBX

Ken, It looks like a hole in the wall, it is a top rated restaurant in the N.C., it has been written up in magazines.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic to the OBX

What about steamed crabs ? Any recomendations ?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic to the OBX

www.sunnysideoysterbarnc.com Click on menu.

nc
Level Contributor
479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic to the OBX

Please note that Williamston is not on the way unless you take the "long way" and come in via Roanoke Island on US-64. Most people coming from your area would be taking Interstate 64 into Hampton Roads, and then 168/158 south to the Wright Memorial Bridge. If you were coming on a Saturday, the long way would be worth it, but there's really no need on a Sunday.

A couple local seafood places in Nags Head are Austin's and Armstrong's. If you are staying closer to South Nags Head, you might try the Sugar Shack/Sugar Creek. But my favorite place for good ol' local eats is I Got Your Crabs in Kitty Hawk. Family owned and run, super nice people, and awesome crab bisque. I'm also a fan of the fried shrimp.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic to the OBX

Thanks !!!