We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Allen Park, Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Are there any specific questions I should be asking when renting a house in Nags Head? Anything I might not normally think of?

I obviously want to be sure there is central air conditioning and I'd like to know how close to the beach the house is. Anything that's not so obvious to someone who has never visited the area before?

Thanks!

Lori

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Lori.......if you have never been to Nags Head before the only question I can think of right now.....would be to ask what milepost the house is located. The Outer Banks is just one long area broken down into mileposts by area. In other words..Nags Head is 10-16. South Nags Head is 17-21 ( i think it's 21 ). We have stayed in MP12 the last couple of years.

The other factor you mentioned of how close to the beach the house is located.......of course the farther from the beach the lower the price. If you are not staying directly on the beach....I wouldn't go any further back than " between the highways " unless you don't mind driving down to the beach everyday. If you are between the highways, you are still in easy walking distance to the beach.

Have you checked any rentals as of now? What city will you be driving from to Nags Head. What time of year are you planning to go?

Karyn

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Hi Lori! I would suggest going online to the Outer Banks realtor websites and looking at their application forms. There you will see a list of options to select that pertain to location and preferences. Things like, does the house...allow pets, have a pool, have community tennis courts, gym, walking trails? Are you in walking distance to shopping? Would you prefer a "no smoking" house? Does it provide baby items, towels, sheets, bicycles? Does the house provide chairs for the decks and/or beach? Most homes down there offer some kind of game room with a pool table or ping pong table.

As far as closeness to the beach, check the description to make sure you have a view of the ocean or the sound, if that is what you want.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Just remembered another minor detail. If you have a large family or have a lot of things you need to carry to the beach each day, some homes provide rolling carts for just such a purpose. Not such a big deal, but I see lots of people using them. Some communities also offer shuttle services to the beach from your cottage.

Allen Park, Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Thanks for the suggestions!

One more thing my husband thought of - does it have cable or satellite TV?!!!!!

We are looking at a house in South Nags Head on MP 20.5 offered through Prudential Resort Realty From the pictures, it looks like it is right on the beach. Our family of five will be going the week before Labor Day and we are leaving from the Detroit area.

I definitely need to find out how far it is to the nearest grocery store. One of the reasons for renting a house is to save some money and do some of the cooking there, but with all of the wonderful restaurant choices I've read about here, I'm not sure we will be staying in that much!!

Oh, and I have to ask if they have a grill! Just thought about that one.

I know we have to bring our own sheets and towels and there is a washer and dryer.

What type of water do they have in that area? Should we buy bottled water to drink or is the tap water OK?

Thanks so much!

Lori

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Hi Lori, The Prudential Resort Realty catalog or web-site will list all of your rental houses amenities. If it's not listed, it's probably not there. We have used Prudential 4 or 5 times. Their web-site is usually up-to-date. All of the houses we've rented had AC, most have one for each floor. And cable TV's are standard. If your house doesn't have a BBQ you can buy a cheap one at Wal Mart , Home Depot or K Mart. You may be able to rent one from Moneysworth or Life Saver rental company, too. Your rental brochure or web site should tell you how far you are from the beach or beach access area. There are plenty of Food Lion grocery stores on the OBX, plus there is a small Mom & Pop food store where Old Oregon Inlet Road and Route 12 meet. The water quality has never been an issue at any rental property we've been at in the last 6 years. Buy bottled water at the food store if the tap water isn't to your liking. A word of caution. The grocery strores are packed on the weekends!!!

Steve

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
497 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Nearly everyone has given all the information that you need, but I will tell you my take on the grocery situation that I noticed staying in the area during previous summers.

When they say there is a Wal-Mart & KMart on the "north beach" (Wal-Mart in Kitty Hawk & Kmart in Kill Devil Hills) don't count on either of them being a "super" store. Both stores left my husband and I a little disappointed as compared to our local stores. Neither of them have a grocery section; just a couple of isles with ins and outs like some boxed and/or canned goods, chips and the like and drinks. We like to pack all our condiments, and a big part of our boxed and canned food so we don't have to feel like we have to make a huge grocery trip (primarily to Food Lion) for everything when we first get there. Not to mention loading up ahead of time makes us feel better since we aren't blowing a bunch of money right from the start either. I have known many people to pack a cooler with lasagna or something that freezes and travels well so if they don't feel like grocery shopping or going out to eat the first night they don't have to.

Just another little tidbit...don't be discouraged by traffic on your way in. Our first trip to the Outer Banks was somewhat fustrating because of the influx of vehicles seeming to all be going where we were going. They were, but not to worry it's just because almost all the rental companies allow their tenants to pick up their keys to their homes right about same time on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Personally I think Saturday is the busiest day, but if you plan ahead you should have no problems.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Outer Banks just as we always have!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Hi again, Lori! Sounds like you are really looking forward to your vacation. That's great! There is a country store at about MP 16 or so. We often rode our bikes there to pick up a few things. It's great if you need some of the basics in a hurry.

If you don't want to bring sheets and towels, there are rental agencies there that will provide them. Check with Prudential to see if they have any arrangements with them. They will have them in the house prior to your arrival. Likewise with bicycles. Rental companies can have them there before you arrive and will pick them up at the end of your stay.

If you like to ride bikes, there is a nice bike path where you are and you can ride around in the neighborhoods as well. We love to do that at night for some exercise!

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Forgot to say I definitely agree about buying bottled water! Oh, outside showers are really nice to have in an Outer Banks home, too.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

Lori....I wanted to mentioned to ask how well stocked the home is in the kitchen. Some of the homes we have stayed are stocked with everything you could imagine...some are not.

A few items we take...bbq tools, crockpot, pasta strainer.

I actually have a printed list that I refer to and add things we need to bring that the house doesn't offer.

Here are a few items on my list not to forget

coffee filters

paper towels

charcoal....lighter fluid if you don't use Matchlight

clothes pins.......for hanging those wet bathing suits & towels

extension cord....never know when you may need one

flashlight....late night walks on the beach.....WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE ALL OF THE STARS!!!

salt & pepper

scouring pad

toilet paper

handi-wipes

dishwasher detergent

insect repellent

That's just a few I can remember at this point.... I am sure others will post a few too.

Karyn.........OBX Lover Since 1966

10. Re: Specific Questions I Should Ask When Renting House?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 09:18