We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Which route?

Driving from OH to Atlantic Beach, NC in August. Mapquest automatically routes me down to Jacksonville, NC over to EI then to Atlantic Beach.

I can force it to use I70 by adding a stop in New Bern, NC before Atlantic Beach. This route looks the most direst to Atlantic Beach and is a few miles shorter.

I pause, because I'm wondering why Mapquest would route me the other way. Is there construction or something I don't know about??

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route?

Who knows with mapquest. What day are you traveling? If you are traveling during the weekend then I would take I 40 to the second 70 exit (Clayton) and take 70 east all the way to Atlantic Beach. The tricky part will to be in Goldsboro make sure you take the 70 exit toward Kinston (just watch the signs). Then you stay straight on 70 all the way to the beach. You may hit traffic in Havelock and Morehead City, but its not that bad.

There is construction on 70 outside of New Bern, but its only like 1 mile and the speed limit in that area is still 60mph. I drive it daily and have yet to hit any delays.

There are a couple other routes, but truthfully I find timewise they are all about the same.

2. Re: Which route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about New Bern
More New Bern Topics