We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Oak Island for the first time

alaska
5 posts
Save Topic
Going to Oak Island for the first time

Traveling to Oak Island from Alaska this July for a family reunion at the beach. Will be there for a week. If we decide to stay longer, is it easy to get a place to stay at the last minute? Also, is there good golf near by?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

With this economy I think you will be able to find something last minute. I own a vacation home on Holden Beach, the island to the south of Oak Island; our rentals were down last year, and so far this year we've again been down on our summer reservations. You may not find something that would be your first choice, but you'll be able to find something.

TONS of good golf in the area; you find close to 100 courses within an hour's drive of the area. Here's a list containing some of the courses in the area: http://www.rudd.com/Oak-Island-NC/ag/golf/

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
293 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

I live near Oak Island and everyone was talking about last summer having fewer visitors, so I think you'll be fine.

Lots of golf in Brunswick County, including a course right on the island. If you want to drive an hour south to Myrtle Beach, there are countless courses there!

alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

Thanks for your replies. Coming from Alaska, we are definitely looking forward to beaching time. Any other beach recommendations? Also, from NC we are driving up to Buffalo to see the other side of the family. Looking for places to visit on our way up north.

alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

Hello again Oak Islanders! I am looking for more advice. One night I will be responsible for feeding dinner to a group of about 20 people. So I was wondering if shrimp or local fish was an option. But also would like to go fishing out on a boat.

What kind of fishing takes place during the last week of July? Are there charter boats for hire? Do you have a recommended company to deal with? Also, I see there is a fish market. Around how much is the cost of shrimp run? Can you buy shrimp or fish right from the fishermen?

Thanks for any insight you have.

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

I can't help you with the fishing. I know there are boats that you can charter for that in the area though. We get all our seafood from a market right on the island called Haag and Sons. Very good local fresh fish and shrimp at a reasonable price. I can't remember off the top of my head what the prices are, but you could give them a call if you want (910) 278-1234. They may be able to give you info on the fishing charters also. Enjoy your trip to Oak Island. It is our family's favorite place to enjoy the beach!

alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

Thanks for the reply. I have come across others who say Haag and Sons is a good place. I will give them a call to see what I can find out about fishing. We are looking forward the our trip to the beach.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

Hi -- You will absolutely LOVE Oak Island. We have been going for the last 4 years for Thanksgiving Week. Our daughter goes to college in central NC and we live in MD, so rather than fight holiday traffic for a short college break (Tues-Sat) we looked into Oak Island. It is a beautiful place. Even tho we go in the late fall, we see that there are lots of restaurants, golf courses, seafood stands, produce stands, souvenir shops, plenty of choices for grocery stores (there is a SUPER Walmart back over the bridge in Southport) that are open in the summer. SUPER Walmart is about a 10 minte ride from the original bridge (a new one is being built on the west end of the island, but we were told because of problems, it may not be finished by this summer). We rent a beach house on 72nd Street in the St. James by the Sea community. Have had some cleanliness problems the last two years, and was totally disappointed by Oak Island Accomodations response this past year. We had black mold in all 3 bathroom toilets, mold on shower curtain upstairs, dead bugs everywhere around edges of carpets in all rooms, etc. And this is a more upscale newer home. The owner was never notified immediately of our problems (they have their own private cleaner) but yet the employee we dealt with at Oak Island Accomodations told us that the owner had been contacted, that they knew about the problem, and not to call back again since the owners knew. Well, the owners didn't know until 2 days AFTER we notified Oak Island Accomodations! The owners are friends with a couple that live up the street from the beach house, and on Thanksgiving morning the husband of this couple came over with supplies to clean the bathrooms and a dustbuster to clean up the bugs!! I told him that no way was I going to let him come in and clean my beach house on Thanksgiving morning! We had met him a year prior out walking, so he knew us. I told him that there could never be anything wrong that I would expect him to come over and clean on a holiday morning - it wasn't that pressing!!! He kept saying, "But I don't mind" and I kept saying, "It's not that pressing to do on a holiday morning!" He was so sweet to come over because the owner had called him because their private cleaner was out of town for the holiday.

You will love Oak Island. There is at least one golf course that I know of, at the country club right on the access road, across from Oak Island Drive (the main "drag" through Oak Island). In your beach house you should get a "booklet" that tells you all the things available on the island. We get ours when we check in at Oak Island Accomodations. After our experience, I don't know if we will rent from them again. After our first year of renting a beach house from them, I wrote a stellar recommendation/review about them on their website, but after our last experience, I wish I could take it off.

I hope you have a wonderful family reunion - you picked a wonderful place to have it. I hope you fall in love with Oak Island like we have!

FYI - Our daughter's boyfriend is stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska - he is in the Army and has been there since March '08 and will be leaving there in March '11 hopefully for a base on the East Coast!! This long distance relationship is tough on the both of them!!!

ENJOY!

Gayle Marie

alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

Thanks for you r lengthy reply. My husband and I are really looking forward to the beach (I think I said that in an earlier reply!)!!! So, when are you and your daughter coming to Alaska? You have an excuse now! Life is too short, you'll love Alaska! If you come with other people, you can split the bill (rooms, gas for driving, etc) making it more affordable. If by chance you come and drive the highway south of Fairbanks, be sure to make a stop in Talkeetna. We are a small tourist town (in the summer), the place where Mt. McKinley (Denali) climbers fly in and out, awesome summer fishing and hiking, awesome cross country skiing in the winter, etc. A small town. Ok, enough of Alaska. Beach, here I come....Thanks again for your reply.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
713 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

Another good place to buy fresh seafood is Clem's, it is a little place on the right on the road just before you cross over the bridge onto the island.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
713 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Oak Island for the first time

I also meant to add that my husband/dad/brother went on a fishing charter with Carolina Explorer, they came recommended. They had a good time. They do leave out of Carolina Beach, which is not "close" but I wanted to pass it along!

http://www.carolinaexplorer.com/

Get answers to your questions about Oak Island