We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Ohio

ohio
9 posts
Save Topic
Best route from Ohio

We are coming to Oak Island next week and planning our route. When we came to OI 3 years ago we took I40 into Wilimington and down. I am debating our route this year and Mapquest is showing a possible alternative as US 220 South out of Greenville and then US 74 E. Is the second a possible more scenic tour through NC or just 2 lane roads that will slow the trip down. We will possible have some extra time on our way there that we could take the alternate route. Thanks for any help or advice you may be able to offer!

Brooklyn Park...
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Ohio

It really depends where in Ohio you are coming from. I would still go I40 down, because there are alot of 2 lane roads. But please note that there is now a second bridge that brings you to Middelton Ave. Or try the route below. Hope this helps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=ohio&daddr=Oak+Island,+NC&hl=en&ll=34.178293,-78.254929&spn=0.312998,0.676346&sll=40.417287,-82.907123&sspn=9.214147,21.643066&geocode=FQe4aAIdDfAO-ynBjk21euk2iDEW2Z-cOWTN5Q%3BFZKGBQIdLltX-ymzTG6xgaAAiTFz6s4sPKxPuQ&mra=ls&z=11

Edited: 26 July 2011, 17:32
ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Ohio

We are coming from NW Ohio so will be coming in to NC via I77/I74/US52 into Winston-Salem, then will probably go towards Greensboro via I40 but then was trying to decide to stay on I40 or start cutting south out of Greensboro on I73/US 220 OR US 421.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
350 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Ohio

When you come down US52 from Mt. Airy take it easy, as they do tend to watch that road for speeders more than most.

Follow US52 south past business US421, NC150 business 40 until your come to I-40 and take it east bound until you see US311 (unless you have some reason to go through Greensboro).

Hwy 311 will bypass High Point and take you to HWY 220 South (there is some portion that is still two lane but i's not all that bad).

Take HWY 220 south all the way to Rockingham, NC (stop at the Huddle House at Bus 74 & 220 for breakfast. It's a good place to take a break) where you will pick up US74/I-74

Stay on 74 until you get to NC211 at Bolton (there's a traffic light at the intersection). Take a right and head south until you get to OI.

As you get close to OI there's a turn that takes you over the new bridge and directly to Middleton drive. Miss it and you have to go through the east side of OI and all the business area (not a bad thing by any means).

We would rather go this route than travel all the way via I-40 because it's not only faster, it's just a nicer ride...

Do yourself a favor whole on the island:

Stop in at Little Bits Grill at least once and have the "small" burger (it's not small at all). Get there before the 2pm closing, and plan on a wait. This place is BUSY....

Have fun, we'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday ourselves (closing on a home there).

ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Ohio

KT thanks for the advice we took your route and liked it much better!!!! We had a great vacation and yes we did eat at Little Bits (we had been there last time we were on OKI and loved it!) MY husband and I already miss the crab dip from The Fish House restaurant at the marina too. Yummy!! Thanks again for the help!

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
350 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Ohio

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to hear that I actually helped someone in some small way.

6. Re: Best route from Ohio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:42
Get answers to your questions about Oak Island