We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giggllng Mackerel restaurant

Which Ocean Isle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sunset beach,nc
1 post
Save Topic
Giggllng Mackerel restaurant

We have eaten at the Giggling Mackerel on several occasions. Tonight however there was a mix up in our food order. As it turns out there is a $9 dollar difference between the sandwich and platter order.. 5 of 6 of our party ordered the sandwich. We explained this to our waitress and the manager "Joe'.. Joe stated that we were lying. and needed to pay the full price..At this point we asked the name of the owner . Joe stated he was the owner..I have never been accused of being a liar over a mix up in a restaurant and do not plan to return .

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giggllng Mackerel restaurant

I ate there last year on my birthday-it was pretty good but it was expensive! You know tourism is their bread and butter, and if I was the manager I would have made what ever was necessary to take care of that. Hopefully you didnt tip the waitstaff did you? Or did they include your tip in the bill? We are going to OIB in July and probably wont go there anymore if they are going to be that way about their patrons. I have found out that going off the island is better as far as eating- we go to calabash and hey we have been to twin lakes in sunset beach in your neck of the woods-Im a huge crabcake fan.

Seneca, SC
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giggllng Mackerel restaurant

We went to the Giggling Mackerel last weekend. We had no problems...we go here at least once a year. The waitress was great. For all you budget minded travelers out there, we have found that 2 can have a nice lunch there by ordering appetizers. We order crab bites, grouper bites, fries and have plenty! And room to share a piece of key lime pie!

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giggllng Mackerel restaurant

We went to the Giggling Mackerel this past week and we thought it was really good. People in our party had the boiled shrimp platter, fried shrimp platter, grouper sandwich and a mixed seafood platter. The onion rings were good as was the peach margaritas. Casual atmosphere. We had eaten at Betty's and the Provision in Supply and Carmela's in Shallotte and the Giggling Mackerel was by far the best meal of the week.

I would have been upset also if they charged me the platter price for the sandwich, but we would definitely go again after our trip.

North Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Giggllng Mackerel restaurant

Six of us ate at the Giggling Mackerel in mid-July, 2007 and absolutely loved it. It definitely has the best fried shrimp on the east coast, much better than restaurants at Calabash. One very small negative was the restaurant doesn't serve hush puppies (a must with seafood), but our experience was very good.

5. Re: Giggllng Mackerel restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach